Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed a new performance cam from Tbparts. Unfortunately, now my bike won’t start. Does anyone know what might be the cause?
-I’m currently running a Bazzaz Zfi and afm. I cleared my maps and unplugged/replugged it.
-My valves are also adjusted to .002” and .004” I/E. I also haven’t had past battery issues.
-I checked my cam and I noticed I’m a tooth off from top dead center... could that be the cause?

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fix the cam timing first ..Re-check everything and retry

Reactions: Kawasaki Brad

·
Registered
464 Posts
also check the Bazzaz connection at the FI, mine and Phils were both sensitive to movement
If you are meaning the "tap" type connections (versus the plug-in connections), yes, this is a common problem. With the "tap" method, you can easily not penetrate far enough to make a reliable conenciton that will handle vibration, or penetrate too far and impair or disconnect the wire you are tapping into. That's why I prefer an ECU reflash over both a Bazzaz and a Power Commander.

If the tap is not penetrating far enough, just screw it in a BIT further. If you have over-penetrated with the tap, you'll need to replace the connection with a soldered one probably.

I do agree though that the very first thing to do is to correct the cam timing!

Jim G

·
Registered
11 Posts
i thought i was going cazy when i hooked my BazzaZ up.... i couldnt get it to start... rewired the whole thing... while i was sitting on the ground in defeat, i figured i would turn the key while moving every connection slightly... i finally found the problem... its exactly what you said... its the FI CONNECTOR... i can just touch it and the bike dies... but ive hit some nasty pot holes and it hasnt died...

but yes, i had this same problem... i was freaking out...

·
Registered
101 Posts
i thought i was going cazy when i hooked my BazzaZ up.... i couldnt get it to start... rewired the whole thing... while i was sitting on the ground in defeat, i figured i would turn the key while moving every connection slightly... i finally found the problem... its exactly what you said... its the FI CONNECTOR... i can just touch it and the bike dies... but ive hit some nasty pot holes and it hasnt died...

but yes, i had this same problem... i was freaking out...

Disconnect, bend a slight curve into the prongs, reconnect and zip tie in place, no more problems

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you... I did zip tie already to hold in place when I did the install. But I am going to pull apart and bend them as you said.... thank you again... I went for a rip today... first time hitting the rev limiter in 4th gear! Guess that means it’s gonna be a good year!

Happy New Year to everyone!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey guys. This is another thread figured I would test your knowledge. So I have my bazzaz soldered. Thought I was past any issues. I was experiencing the same thing connection issues. Haven’t had any problems for a month or so. Today. **** thing wouldn’t start cranked and cranked. Jiggled wires no go. Eventually it started again. My bike just seems it cranks so slow. It’s not even cold here now. 75 degrees in the morning. I’m at a loss I’ve swapped airbox back. I’ve checked bazzaz connections. Not sure what else to try at this point. Seems every 2-300 miles or so it will have a no start. Check engine. Check engine will go off in 60 miles again. And the process repeats. Other than that the bike runs fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
Check engine. Check engine will go off in 60 miles again. And the process repeats. Other than that the bike runs fine.
You saying check engine light comes on ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah... it was and I found bazzaz was loose. Now bazzaz is not loose and had issues this morning. It’s been off and on issues with this bike for the last 2 years

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
Sounds like probably the bazzaz connector loosing contact and setting the CEL off and then the CEL will clear on its own after 3 rides after it got a good connect again for the first 2 years.

[My bike just seems it cranks so slow.]
That sounds like battery...

[Seems every 2-300 miles or so it will have a no start.]
but that sounds like its not the battery

Test batt if you have a voltage meter ?
https://www.z125owners.com/forum/kawasaki-z125-pictures-videos/14530-youtube-tech-maintenance-diy-videos.html#post111858

I'm guessing still bazzaz connector again but only because i like being wrong all the time

Next time CEL comes on dont ride it and do the Self Diagnostics test and it will show what the problem is and why its coming on. no more guessing !

Blink Code will tell all... post up the code if you dont have a service manual lots of us here can help the code .
https://www.z125owners.com/forum/kawasaki-z125-how-diy/16709-cel-self-diagnostic-procedure.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts