Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to riding motorcycles on the rode. But I grew up on dirtbikes and quads. I'm looking into either getting the z or the 2017 grom when it becomes available. No where around me has the new grom yet, but ther are two places with the z. My main concern is I heard the Honda is more dependable and will last longer granted you take care of it. Is this something that is the truth? I have little to no experience with Kawasaki. I also have been reading a lot and it seems like the grom gets better mileage. I will be using this bike to commute 25 miles each way , and the whole reason for me looking into these bikes is to save on gas money. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I put over 1000 miles on mine in the first month of ownership and haven't had an issue with it yet. It all depends on how well you take care of it. Hondas are known for reliability but when you start adding aftermarket parts that reliability decreases. That's the same with the Kawasaki. It's honestly going to be a choice of preference.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think Kawasaki is just as reliable and both are from a Japanese company. Really down to how well you take care of it and which design you like more. Have you tried riding on the Z125 yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your going to commute to work 50 miles a day on a z or grom? I'm guessing highway will occupy a good many of these miles? They simply cant sustain highway speeds needed. They can both punch over 60mph on a perfect flat, but a slight hill or wind will bring that down to low 50s really quick. I would take my z out on the highway, but only for a short period of time a few kilometres or so and then I would exit. Also as for reliability, I think you will find they will be virtually the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not had a chance to ride either one. I have only sat on a z. I watched a ton of videos on them and did as much research as I could. Obviously the z doesn't have the aftermarket the grom does, but it will eventually. How about the mileage difference? People with the grom claim around 120 mpg?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your going to commute to work 50 miles a day on a z or grom? I'm guessing highway will occupy a good many of these miles? They simply cant sustain highway speeds needed. They can both punch over 60mph on a perfect flat, but a slight hill or wind will bring that down to low 50s really quick. I would take my z out on the highway, but only for a short period of time a few kilometres or so and then I would exit. Also as for reliability, I think you will find they will be virtually the same.
The highway isn't a huge part of it. I am on a highway( by which I mean 60-65 speed limit) for mabye 2-3 miles. Most of the commute is spent in the 40 mph-55 speed limit range. I know it may take me longer to get there. But I am also looking to slow down a little bit an enjoy life. I feel like everyday is spent by rushing here or rushing there. I just want something to save on gas, be a blast to ride. And me not regret the purchase

·
Registered
185 Posts
There were no Groms in my area. I can't speak on reliability because the Z is new to the world.

But I also like the style over the grom. And I'm a honda fan boy. Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to riding motorcycles on the rode. But I grew up on dirtbikes and quads. I'm looking into either getting the z or the 2017 grom when it becomes available. No where around me has the new grom yet, but ther are two places with the z. My main concern is I heard the Honda is more dependable and will last longer granted you take care of it. Is this something that is the truth? I have little to no experience with Kawasaki. I also have been reading a lot and it seems like the grom gets better mileage. I will be using this bike to commute 25 miles each way , and the whole reason for me looking into these bikes is to save on gas money. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
you'll definitely save gas money on either one..but you'll end up spending more money on aftermarket parts lol..😁

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you'll definitely save gas money on either one..but you'll end up spending more money on aftermarket parts lol..😁
If the grom gets the mileage everyone says they do, then the amount of money I save on gas will pay for the bike every month. I found a 2015 with a graffic kit for 4K out the door everything included. Crate fee, tags, tax. It seems a little high reading how much people pay out the door for their bikes. Exp since the tag on this 2015 grom is 2888

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have not had a chance to ride either one. I have only sat on a z. I watched a ton of videos on them and did as much research as I could. Obviously the z doesn't have the aftermarket the grom does, but it will eventually. How about the mileage difference? People with the grom claim around 120 mpg?
As a former grom owner and now a z owner I will tell you my opinion. I loved my grom but the z is much more appealing to the eye to me. And from riding both of them I can tell you the z is better in every way except for brakes. The brakes on the z are sub par to the grom. As far as gas milage from my experience the grom guys are way over claiming the gas milage. Best I ever got on is was around 80 mpg my z gets 100 almost every tank. I'm riding the same routes and have virtually the same mods on them both. Also the z is a little taller and more nimble than the grom. There's my 2cents hope it helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a former grom owner and now a z owner I will tell you my opinion. I loved my grom but the z is much more appealing to the eye to me. And from riding both of them I can tell you the z is better in every way except for brakes. The brakes on the z are sub par to the grom. As far as gas milage from my experience the grom guys are way over claiming the gas milage. Best I ever got on is was around 80 mpg my z gets 100 almost every tank. I'm riding the same routes and have virtually the same mods on them both. Also the z is a little taller and more nimble than the grom. There's my 2cents hope it helps.
You think the z gets better gas mileage?

·
Registered
18 Posts
For me three reasons. 1) The Z Bike is about $200 less than Grom, 2) The Z Tank holds 2 Gal. of Fuel, Grom is around 1 1/2. 3) I like the Kawasaki Green. If you can find a Grom you probably have to act fast, but it's the same for a Z. They're new and rare right now. I just paid the sticker and never thought of haggaling. I have about 400 miles. It's loosening up and 55 - 60 is easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
both Kawasaki and Honda have some of the lowest failure rates in the business so I would call that a wash. I think the Grom is a little more expensive but dealer pricing matters more than the MSRP difference. I get 100+MPG every tank for the last 1000+ miles. I would say it comes down to preference on style . ( although the Z 125 looks the best haha)

·
Registered
66 Posts
What made you guys get the z over the grom?
My decision was made because it looks better. Neither is any faster than the other.
Also, I have NOT taken mine on the freeway. Like someone said, it just cannot sustain those speeds for me to feel safe.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Highway miles

My z and I hit about 35 highway , miles just about daily. At speeds ranging from 55-63 it's decent(my neighborhood high way top speed is 50mph)>:), i keep up with traffic. just cant pass anyone that is doing 60mph.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm going to open up the can of worms and suggest to you the Ninja 300 for a commuter ride.
All the advantages go to the slightly larger engine. Taller and a more comfortable, riding stance.
I feel it would allow you a safer bike for your intended needs.
I'm not saying the Z125 or Grom couldn't do it. I'm saying the 300 will do it better. YMMV

1 - 20 of 32 Posts