Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Z's been having trouble starting. I have a video but I can't link it due to low post count.... It is on streamable dot com slash 8ab5d. It had been sitting for about 3 days at this point and is a cold start. New battery installed last month. It sounds like it wants to turn over but it can't quite do that. I let it rest for a bit and then it will start up. It hasn't stranded me anywhere yet but I'd like to know what the cause is and if it's something fixable. Any ideas/thoughts? Thanks.

It was suggested to me in a different forum that it could be the starter that needs replacing.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
Sounds like a Totally normal COLD start , Battery, Starter all sound normal to me. the one little hic-up with the starter was it trying to start or you let up on the button slightly I'm guessin.

At rest and Charging volts good.

It Starts fine when its warm .. right ?

Plenty of cold start complaint threads here on the forum :wink2:

Seen at least 5 post saying having kickstand up helps ?

And at least 5 posts saying a quality high cranking amp battery helps ?
His video /
https://streamable.com/8ab5d

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I press the starter at 21 seconds and did not let go until 30 seconds. When there is a slight clicking sound and the headlight flashes in the background, the starter is keep getting pressed down. It tends to do this when it's a cold start, but then it's fine for the rest of the day, even after it's been parked for a couple hours somewhere while I'm out. Then after a couple days of sitting this happens again. I just tried to do this again now and, since it was started about 2 hours ago, it starts up no problem. I'll try to have the kickstand up tomorrow and check again.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
Holding the start for more than 5 secs is max per the manual (any bike really)
They most always start after a new start cycle within the first 2-3 secs when there ready to start, just like it did in your video

so the long 30 sec's hold is not helping !

Mine takes 3-4 ... 5secs long starts .. when it gets below 60 degrees
or
If it has not been started in a while.

Your all good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I meant in the video timestamp. So in my video, the first start attempt is a 9 second hold. It doesn't turn over so I let it rest for I think like 5 sec? Then the next start attempt it turns over in about 1 second hold. Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
1,702 Posts
Oh ....... Assuming things wrong is my specialty but doesn't stop me from trying to help or at least get the ball rolling :rolleyes:

Starter button pushed with intermittent starter then
(Derp, now i hear it)

I' gonna chuck up a couple more guesses then :confused:

Walmart Everstart battery ? does batt volts drop under 12.4v ''while cranking over''
Video dosent show that. and helps explain the harder when cold starting.

Should have X.xvolts (current batt voltage) at Pic 1 (unplugged) constantly with start button pushed for 10secs (if good then starter issue ?)

If not then some maybes , Then work backwards Pic's 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
And checking for ''constant'' voltage at them with ''start button'' pushed.

But probably something stupid simple like battery connection cable or ground or even though a new battery not up to the task in cold weather

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hold starter no more than 5 seconds as per the manual. If it doesn’t start, try again while pressing the clutch.
The starter motor spins the motor so slow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The longer you keep the starter engaged the lower the power drop and the weaker the spark. This hinders starting and is hard on all electrical components. Cold oil is hard to churn. Short 2-3 second starter engagements are better especially when the oil is cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw your video, I couldn't see how many miles you had on it. It sounded like you have good power to crank your motor. So, I'm guessing:
- check oil level (oil helps seal the piston rings to seal the combustion chamber, can possibly cause weak compression on first couple of turn overs)

- check your spark plug to see if it looks bad or the gap is too big. (spark can't arc if gap too big or electrode worn)

- check that the plug wire is connected securely and not arcing through the insulation. (this will cause the spark at plug to be weaker)

Hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts