Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that have been around since the inception of this little motorcycle may be able to answer this.
Over the few years since its introduction, what has changed on this bike?
Other than colors?
With the introduction of the new EU Z125 big wheel version, I wonder if something's in the works for the rest of the
world in the near future?
Usually manufacturers will do some little bits here and there to entice owners to upgrade to newer versions, or
keep up with the competition.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The EU version fills a gap that they did not have. Check out the A1 license requirements and I bet you find that the tires must be 16 inch or larger for highway use, and they need 14hp for highway use. 14hp is also the maximum for this class of license which is the first class that everyone must go through.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The EU version fills a gap that they did not have. Check out the A1 license requirements and I bet you find that the tires must be 16 inch or larger for highway use, and they need 14hp for highway use. 14hp is also the maximum for this class of license which is the first class that everyone must go through.
Where are you located, Europe?
In Alberta Canada, at 14 yrs of age, you can get a learners permit for driving a car with a fully licensed driver with you, AND write a test to qualify to drive a 49cc or less scooter.
Then at 16 yrs of age, you can take a riding test on small displacement motorcycle (say 125cc), pass your
test, then go kill yourself legally on a Hayabusa Super Sport on the way home. Absolutely ridiculous licensing
rules here.:frown2:

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm in the USA, and we will eventually go to a tiered license system.
I'm very interested in this development. I've commonly thought that even just periodic re-testing would be a wonderful idea to weed out the terribad drivers.

HP is one thing, I'd almost prefer a weight limitation. If we force the bad drivers into sub-compact cars at least they do less damage when they crash into other people. Of course, 2000 less lbs doesn't help a motorcyclist survive a crash, but at least I can drive the cars I want without it being a health hazard.

Interesting topic that might be worth breaking out.

Back on the original topic I think the Z125 is novel enough and at a low enough margin that they can justify running it for 5-6 years at a time without changing anything but paint. It doesn't make financial sense to pump R&D into a product to improve it when that will raise the price and lower sales. Just my $0.02

Frankly Honda only updated the Grom because it was starting to look dated, I think the Z has a more timeless design.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit off topic, but heck, I started this thread.
Regarding retesting, wouldn't that be nice.
But you know, everybody is an angel when getting tested.
Next thing you know, when they think nobody is watching,
the idiot comes out in them.
Cell phone in one hand, burger in the other, drink between their legs
and two crying kids in the back seat.
LOOK OUT, I gotta get these kids to soccer practice on time........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts