Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my z125 has about 80 miles on it.
I rode it to a friend's house who lives maybe 5 miles away. Bike ran fine the whole way there then when I get to the house I'm talking to my friend for 5 maybe 10 mins at the most and the bike was left running. Then as I go to pull off the bike would go. The revs would go up about 500 rpm then drop and it would keep doing that.. it's as if it was in a limp mode or something.. bike wouldn't go past 2 or 3 mph..
I live in Florida and it was very hot that day and there is no temp gauge so I'm wondering if it started to over heat or something..
I turned it off and waited about 20 mins then it started up fine and rode home fine but the check engine light is now on..
I tried unplugging the battery for an hour and the light is still on.
So now I'll have to try the zx10 way of getting it off.
Riding it for 10 mins x 3 times.etc..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's still under warranty so take it to the dealership. Sounds like something serious is going on. I live in Oklahoma and it's been 100+ with really high humidity and I've had 0 issues from heat. Good luck!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Best to bring it to a dealership it the light went on after a bit of overheating. You should still be covered under warranty anyways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would bet it overheated a bit. Hopefully the dealer will cover it but leaving an air-cooled engine to sit and run is a big no no.could have lost compression past rings or valves when it felt like it was in limp mode. Might be something small like a valve adjustment. Hopefully just the overheat sensor putting into limp but I wouldn't try leaving it running on a hot day twice. good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good reminder to all that these are air cooled engines, meaning it needs the cooler air passing by while riding to keep it within normal operating temperatures. Your car and many motorcycles have a radiator to circulate fluid that can keep engines in that range, but Z125's (and most Harley Davidsons) need to be moving or risk overheating and damage. Hopefully this didn't cause any long term issues for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's working fine now so it's definitely not messed up Rings or anything.. but light is still on so I will it take it back to the dealer this week..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Let us know how your visit goes.

Air cooled engines aren't the best when it comes to stop and go traffic during rush hour on hot days. We all try to avoid those but sometimes, you just get stuck in one and your bike can get really hot.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I haven't seen any way to pull the codes on this bike. Maybe the old ZX6R method works. Anyone with an engine light on want to try it? I would bet this bike uses the same list of codes, minus the codes specific to cylinders 2-4.

I don't have an engine light on, otherwise I would go try it myself. I'm curious to know.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good reminder to all that these are air cooled engines, meaning it needs the cooler air passing by while riding to keep it within normal operating temperatures. Your car and many motorcycles have a radiator to circulate fluid that can keep engines in that range, but Z125's (and most Harley Davidsons) need to be moving or risk overheating and damage. Hopefully this didn't cause any long term issues for you.
Yes. And that's especially true, stuck in hot summer traffic. Stuck, I mean, stopped or walking speed.

Alongside the Z, I have a Honda PCX125 to compare against. The Z has better suspension and gets better mileage. The Honda is smoother - and water cooled, no danger of overheating.

In August, with it new, I would turn it off at the long, long stoplights we have out here. No point in idling it six minutes at 95 degrees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts