Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the z out for a few hours today, stoped by a gas station and got some gas a mile later bike cut off going 35, I can get it to finally cut back on and I have to keep throttle rebel up to keep it going, dumped the gas out put new gas in but I’m getting codes 12 and 31. Looked up how to bypass the tip over sensor but it just isn’t working for me. If I got from blue to yellow nothing happens and blue to black clears all codes but bike will not start. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
if you have a fuel controller disregard everything below especially a hoedar. (has different limp mode setting)

35mph max sounds like it got to hot and went into limp mode. and think thats why intake air temperature /pressure codes came up
If you keep riding before it cooled down you do have to keep the revs up.
Did it run fine after it cooled down, or did you mess with the VDS before trying to ride it again (bike will not start)

VDS (tip over sensor) sounds like you were trying to disable it by using the wires (blue to yellow) . You need a resistor to disable the VDS circuit that way so the ECU gets the proper signal back. I disabled my VDS by removing the pendulum (see pic)

Having to keep revs up is not a VDS issue, so I'd put it back to stock and plugged in. and see if it will start ?
You do have to turn key off for 5 secs then back on when VDS is activated

The limp mode CEL codes are the only ones that will go off without doing the 4 ride cycle requirements so if those went off it was not from playing with the VDS wires and a good sign it was just to hot and in limp mode.
VEHICLE DOWN SENSOR.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hours after, I removed pendulum, can get it to crank and I still have to keep it reved to stay one. If I let go it’ll drop to 1000-1500 rpm and shut off again.cant put pendulum back do to it falling out in the process and to never be found again. Right after I read your post I went out there and it actually started every time which was better then before but like I said it does not idle anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, curious how removing the pendulum helps bypass and why the hell anyone would cut the harness if it’s all it takes. I haven’t committed to cutting harness, just jumped it by stick wires in harness slots. And if it truly did go limp, would everything be fine or should I service It. Running 10w40 but also live in South Georgia. Gets pretty hot...

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
No need for pendulum but VDS connector does have to stay plugged in and if its running then you did that. when bike tilts the pendulum creates less voltage (pic) . I originally tried to bypass it like you (lol) until i figured out to just remove the pendulum.

If its still doing it then you still have the CEL for the same code 12 / and code 31 is gone / or no CEL at all
and you dont have any engine mods or have a fuel controller right ?

I think someone did a TPS reset and fixed this issue. Its free so try that. (pic)

If code 12 still there unplug connector at intake air sensor (pic) , inspect, and replace for good connection.
Check screws holding sensor on
Sensor can be check with a special kawasaki adapter if you buy that or have a dealer check it.
Or you have to buy the whole throttle assy, not just the sensor and thats 175.00
You can buy the 0-ring seal RING-O 92055-0879

all these just guesses so .... I'd ask around more before putting out 175.00
1592197312136blob.png TBS & ECU RESET.png WIRING THROTTLE BODY SENSOR.jpg THROTTLE BODY SENSORS.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts