Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Have just picked up a Z125 about 1 month ago with 5000kms on the clock (3100 miles)
Just changed the tyres to pilot pures like I had on my grom and what a difference!

Anyway, I have been getting a clutch smell once the bike is warm. I have a commute where I go 80-90kmph (50-55 mph) for 10-15 mins twice daily and mainly smell it on my way home. My mate who is a motorcycle mechanic reccomends I get heavy duty springs to account for all of my "race starts" lol

Anyone been down this path and have any recommendations?

Thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
If your mate is a motorcycle mechanic and familiar with your issue, he probably knows a lot more than we can assume here.

But your statement by itself and not knowing everything else I would ..
Change oil and filter
Make sure your checking the level correctly
Check clutch cable adjustment free play
And ride it and see if it still has the smell for starters

If already done that the HD clutch kits are inexpensive and have the HD springs included

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
+1 on ^ what everyone said above. Not hard to do, your buddy who is a mechanic probably knows more, etc.

I'll add: they don't cost much.

Check your fiber plate thickness once you are in there. At 5000k on these little bikes there is a really good chance you'll need to replace a couple, especially with "race starts". I won't go in to what the manual says because you don't sound like the person that would read it anyways. Measure all the friction plate thicknesses as they come out. You'll find 2 or 3 that are much smaller than the pack. Replace those and have a nice day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What size tires did you go with? I have been looking Power Pure SC in 110/90 front and 130/70 rear for my wife's Z and no luck anywhere. I finally spent an extra $30 after rebate and ordered her Battlax SC1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size tires did you go with? I have been looking Power Pure SC in 110/90 front and 130/70 rear for my wife's Z and no luck anywhere. I finally spent an extra $30 after rebate and ordered her Battlax SC1.
I went with 120/70 front and 130/70 rear.
Same size as what I had on my grom!
I ordered a 110 but it looked horrible so just went the same as the grom size.
Been riding on them for a week or so, cornering feels different but the confidence boost with them is incredible.
Cant wait to take it to the hills and local go kart track to try them out!! Clutch needs fixing first haha

HD clutch ordered and should be getting fitted Monday! Will let you guys know what the difference will be!
Super cheap at $67 AUD delivered.

Just put a mustard tail tidy on as well. Highly recommend.

Cheers for the recommendations team.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Doing the whole clutch is pretty easy, beside my video there is at least one other good video on Youtube covering the whole procedure. I'm partial to my version (of course). The one thing is that you really need a deep socket to pull the nuts off the flywheel and the clutch basket. Check my video and you will see why I say this, nope I don't edit mistakes unless it would lead someone down the wrong path.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Getting the 19mm(?) nuts off without an impact was the hardest part of the whole deal. I tried the nickle trick and I went through a couple of those before I got the nut loose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clutch plates and springs have been fitted yesterday.
The standard immediate adjustment had to be made after 10 mins of riding.
Actually feels like a big boy clutch now.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting into first from neutral without rocking back and forth to get the wheel to spin, anyone else have this or is it just how it is?

Cheers boys

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
I'm having a bit of trouble getting into first from neutral without rocking back and forth to get the wheel to spin, anyone else have this or is it just how it is?
I've had that issue when doing steels and frictions (all the plates). With all new stuff it can take a bit to chew the edges off and get everything seated. You can get a false stack height when everything is fresh and new.

With just springs that's probably not it. Do you have the proper amount of cable freeplay adjusted? Too much slack will cause this. Also, "easy pull" levers or adjustable levers that hit the bar too soon will cause this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had that issue when doing steels and frictions (all the plates). With all new stuff it can take a bit to chew the edges off and get everything seated. You can get a false stack height when everything is fresh and new.

With just springs that's probably not it. Do you have the proper amount of cable freeplay adjusted? Too much slack will cause this. Also, "easy pull" levers or adjustable levers that hit the bar too soon will cause this.
I've had the problem before I did the springs and plates, I got my mechanic to install them and tighten the frame bolt. Shifting from first to second is a lot better than before and clutch pull is heaps firmer but still get a neutral at least 2 - 3 times a ride (35 min commute)
It hasn't once gone into first with out having to rock the bike forward or back which is extremely annoying!
Any ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts