Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had post this with my introduction but it seems this area gets more traffic.

I recently bought the z, did a cold air intake, exhaust, adjustable clutch and brake levers, bar end mirrors, area 22 frame sliders, fender eliminator, and upgraded to a shorai battery. My problem is I had about 70 miles on it while taking it nice and easy before putting the exhaust on it so I never went very high in rpms, after the exhaust I wanted to test it out a bit but it will not go above 53 on the gauge and it will not go past 8000 rpm.
If I do a full tuck it will hit 57 on the gauge. I've done about 15 miles so far after the install, and i'm wondering if it is just the ecu still needs to reset for the exhaust or if I have a dealership problem. I have checked the vin and the bike is not part of the ecu recall. I am still on the first tank of gas from the dealership so i don't think the fuel filters should be clogged, or atleast i would hope not.
the bike does have some pretty strong engine braking.

I plan on installing a hd clutch today or tomorrow as i don't like the stock clutch feel, i plan to do a bit of riding afterward to test it out and adjust to the new clutch. i hope it is as simple as the ecu hasn't reset yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
i'm not a motor performance guy at all , and this is my first fuel injection bike with all the electronic crap on it . (hate it)
but the engine braking is really strong , unlike any other bike I've had
I've seen post where some cant hit the rev limiter in 4th due to alot of different conditions , Wind, rider weight, terrain, weather temperature, altitude , gearing changes, ect'
Does it rev to 9500 and hit the rev limiter in 2nd or 3rd ?
A pipe and intake only increases HP by less than .5 on average so if you were expecting more than that ?
ECU reset / I haven't done it myself.
But the manual reads ...
.....After new ECU installed
Turn ignition on / Engine light on
Wait 5 seconds / Engine light on
Turn ignition off / Engine light off
Wait 5 seconds / Engine light off
.......Then ready for use
ECU Recall only effected stalling at idle, not top end performance from what I've read
Gas could be really old (1 year ?) if its still what the dealer had in it so I'd get rid of it just to eliminated that .
or could just be that day ! ride it more and see what changes, like you mentioned

And sounds like it could be anything , so add anything and everything you can think of to this post . :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. On lunch break so i gotta make this quick. Temp outside was about 65 f. Wind was about 8mph but i changed directions and it didnt change. I only weight about 135 with gear on. As far as altitude, im in southern jersey and on full moon high tide the bay is at my door steps. I have not done any gearing changes, i have replaced the oil just to test if they put the wrong in. I plan to swap the gas out tomorrow to test that.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
That covers the simple stuff then .
We have a couple of really good motor performance guys here like Zaph and Jeff . or one of or sponsors might post in . Hopefully they will see your post and chime in .
but your defiantly down about 10mph than what it should be.
If you dont figure it out soon ,maybe put the stock pipe and air filer back on just to rule that out ? . then if the problem is still there you can take it back to the dealer and see if its something under warranty since you have all the factory equipment back on

·
Registered
176 Posts
With those upgrades you need to get a Bazzaz or Power Commander fuel controller also get the lightened primary gear this is a great upgrade.
If you get the Bazzaz and primary gear get it from mnnthbx they will have a map to suit your mods.
Just wondering which intake you have? The reason I'm asking is that if you pulled the stock snorkel out of the airbox and then zip tied the stock air filter over the end like I've seen on YouTube this idea doesn't work that great it actually stops the bike from making great performance. Yes I've tried it and it sucks well it actually stops it from sucking LOL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey jeff i've heard of many people that are fine without FC with intake and exhaust, i know thats not everyone. i am using the stock snorkel but with a uni foam filter.

i got home today pretty late so i wasn't really able to ride it but i did manage to upgrade the clutch. (HD clutch w/ hd springs, motul oil, new gasket, and new oil filter o-ring from steadygarage)

sliptones as i said i was kind of taking it easy in all gears, but i plan to test out all gears all rpm ranges tomorrow with the fresh fuel and the hd clutch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not an immediate thing, but i said screw it and ordered the bazzaz standard controller just now. hopefully mnnthbx can ship it pretty quick. i'll limit how much i ride it till the bazzaz shows up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you only changed the exhaust I would say it's ok to run without a fuel controller but I don't like taking chances.
Its best to be safe than sorry.
With the Bazzaz the z will go better but if you ever want to get it going really well get the 143 kit with big valve head and cam it makes a big difference :wink2
Also I'm running the same intake as you >:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was already planning on doing the 143 kit at some point, but my pockets are not that deep so i have to go a little at a time

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm actually noticing the same thing. All I've done differently is change front sprocket to a 15T. Even after the ECU recall change out i was able to hit 67 on it. Now the past few times ive rode its been topped at around 53 or 57ish tucked. :/ Wish i new exact cause.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
after i installed the hd clutch i tested it a little, much better bite and feathering with the clutch now. but i did get to rev limit in 1-2 gears, waiting for the fuel controller before i really open it up and try 4th rev limit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just an update for this issue. with the 15t front sprocket, hd clutch w/hd springs and pcv w/autotune installed it goes to rev limit in 1st through 3rd.

3rd gear hits around 53 in 4th i've had it to 61(takes forever with minimal wind on flat road and a bit of a tuck) still need to dial in the maps and tables so i'm hoping i can get a little more out of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello there. My z125 won"t pull past 8k in 4 gear either... just falls on its face. I have an M4 exhaust with a Mtake intake on it . I will be getting an PCMV for it . I have to ….The purple / blue pipe and not pulling to limiter is telling me the bike needs more fuel .

The bike has about 400 miles on it now and I don't want to thrash the hec out of it if it wont pull willingly to 10k.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
yes my Z is not broken in yet at around 300miles on it but mine has the ar exhaust, uni intake, lightened primary, pcv, auto tune, hd clutch with plenty of slack in the lever(so it's not slipping), and a 15t sprocket on it it struggles to hit 57+ in 4th gear and still wont rev over 8000. n-1-2-3 all will hit limiter but not 4th. it is getting a little annoying. yes in new jersey" i can't legally go over 50" but the extra top end helps for getting out of situations. i don't have the extra time or money to do a 143 kit right now, and with the luck i've been having i don't know if it would help all that much. i have tried playing with the maps and timing a little with no luck. it is stupid that all the maps available on the main site only have stock intake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi pinman. Wont your auto tune create a good map for your bike that will allow it to pull hard to the limiter?The plan for me is to ask Hard Racing to load a map for m4 and mtake onto a pcv that I will purchase from them . I have heard their map should get me to 90% good. I will have to call them and see if they can do that for me . . By the way I checked my head temps today with an inferred therm and was getting readings around 175 to 220 at the head and cylinder areas so its not too roaring hot .

I hope the pcv will get my 4th gear pulling to the limiter . I will be very happy if I get that . Good luck with your bike as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have tried asking hard racing and they told me that they only use one of the basic map files anyone can get from the autotune website. i have tried a few of the files without much luck. i'm hoping it is just an issue with not being fully broken in or the stupidly high humidity in my area. i ordered a set of feeler gauges so i can double check the valve clearances but from what i have read that is only a slight possibility.

i'm sure if it was a grom i would have been able to find plenty of posts all saying what the problem is and how to fix it but sadly the z125 pro just doesn't have the customer/rider base even close yet and on a lot of things there are way more questions than even attempted answers.

i just didn't like the grom sadly

·
Registered
176 Posts
Go back to the 14t sprocket until you get the 143kit.
I actually run the 14t with the 143 kit but I ride in the hills a lot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts