Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of z125 pro but lots of experience with bikes and 12v electronics. I bought the bike in running condition but the previous owner had installed all kinds of custom lighting which was removed..... The wiring harness was already a mess.

And then I had to drill out the lock for the seat release and I drilled through some of the "custom" wiring.

Here's what I have:

He also removed the fuse box for some reason??

In the wiring that I screwed up there were (at least) 3 fuses.

Can anyone offer me advice/assistance or a wiring diagram to get me back on track?

PS- I know my chain needs some attention! The bike was on the back of my motorhome for 3000 miles and went through a lot of salt. I'll get it taken care of this week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
WTFFFFFFFFFFFF?????

That dude was a hack...you can find Service Manuals in a .PDF format online and I know Brock's Performance have quite a few Kawasaki manuals available.

From the looks of that and the lack of a fuse box, for whatever reason, you'd almost be better off trying to hunt down a wire harness/fuse box off a totaled bike.

Good luck on that mess, it doesn't look like it's going to be easy.

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
From the looks of that and the lack of a fuse box, for whatever reason, you'd almost be better off trying to hunt down a wire harness/fuse box off a totaled bike.
+1 Looks like a lot of wires shorted and burnt. Lots of wires hot even with key off on the Z'
E-Bay usually has them for sale under $100

Brads is not awake yet :sleep: so here's his manual's

And a index for finding wanted diagram
WIRING DIAGRAMS (2).JPG

·
Super Moderator
346 Posts
Brads is not awake yet :sleep: so here's his manual's
Haha. I am awake! Just got back from dropping off the rugrat at school in -20deg C. Yay!

Mr OP. That looks like a mess. You could spend 40 hours trying to clean up that mess and still have electrical gremlins. Download the service manual (it's free), order up a harness, fuse box, and you're probably missing a relay or 2. While you're waiting for that to arrive you can go on your un-f#@k it mission and see what else has been molested. Looks like you need a new chain too.

PS: leave the new harness under a black blanket in the sun for a while, or I'll sometimes throw them in the oven for a bit on the lowest setting. Once they're nice and warm it makes them super easy to deal with and bend. The wife will get pretty excited though (not in the good way) so watch out for that.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Honestly, I'd find someone parting out a Z and buy a whole new wiring harness. That's a complete mess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys -- as much of a disaster as it is, I didn't have any issues until I drilled out that lock (the mechanism started to spin and took out those loose fuses that the previous owner had installed. I'd normally just bite the bullet and order a new wiring harness but supposed to leave at the end of the week for a 2 month swing through mexico and trying to get the bike running before that. Hoping I can bubble-gum it back together for now. I'll download the wiring diagram and start trying to figure out what's what. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like others suggested, ebay wiring harness. Likely a significant time saver and eliminate potential problems in the future. I understand what you're saying, it was working fine but that's a mess that will be a problem sooner or latter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's pretty terrible to sell a bike in that state. I wish you the best of luck man.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's one of the best service manuals I've ever come across. Made it very easy to trace the wires and find what was missing and where I needed to fuse it. The main brown wire from the ignition switch had melted at some point and taken a few other wires with it. I'm amazed it ran it all when I got it. Found the good ends and repaired all of the wires properly with heat shrink and soldered joints. Got everything tucked back in and made a fake fuse box that should work just fine.

·
Super Moderator
346 Posts
Glad to hear there was some improvement there. You may want to consider wrapping the bundle of wire with some harness tape. Or at least pop that panel off once in a while to keep an eye out for chafing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts