Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the OEM pedal assemblies (i.e. rear brake lever, right footpeg, gearshift mechanism, left footpeg, and all associated mounting parts associated with above) with aftermarket rearsets.

My priorities are:

1. Better appearance (the OEM parts look cheap, clunky, and overly industrial to my eyes - too "tractor-like')

2. Weight reduction - I have an overall objective for my Z125 to get its weight as low as practical without spending really stupid money, so weight reduction is very important

3. Some adjustability, but mostly in gearshift lever position - moving the footpeg position is not important to me - the OEM position of the footpegs is fine for me. No burning desire to go higher, lower, or rearward for the very moderate riding I do

4. Prefer rearsets that allow reasonably priced replacement of individual parts as they wear or if they become damaged - or a price low enough that I can just replace the entire set instead of paying "genuine replacement part" prices

5.And of course, reliable function and decent durability

I'd strongly prefer to NOT have to install a banjo pressure switch - I'd prefer to keep the OEM brake light switch. But if other advantages make a particular set of rearsets overwhelmingly attractive, I'd accept having to install a banjo pressure switch, but since I'd have to hire someone to do that, I'll look at overall cost of parts and hired labour too in making a decision. I'd really prefer a set of rearsets I can install myself, without opening up the brake fluid system.

I'm very open to trying a set of Asian products because $300 to $400 for a set of domestic rearsets seems like overkill for a non-racing, fun street bike. I've also read on this forum about the Area 22 jackshaft problem which convinced me that companies with American sounding names don't necessarily offer "better quality".

Based on all of the above, what can some of you recommend?

Jim G

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think with all your preferences, you may be making a custom set of rearsets. Lol. The only ones I know that don't move your peg position are stunt rearsets which is still going to utilize the stock brake pedal and shifter and be just as heavy if not heavier. Most other cheap rearsets utilize the "jackshaft" design where there's a spacer between the linkage arm and shift rod giving it a horrible feel. I bought an expensive set of Hotbodies MGP rearsets, sold them rather quickly after I rode with them once. I went with Driven Racing rearsets, adjustable brake and shifter, 4 position peg mounts, replaceable parts, and straight shift rod to linkage design. Yeah they put you up and back a tad compared to stock when set at the lowest, most forward position, but I put 10k on my Z and used it to commute around 100 miles a day and I loved them, very comfortable. You can find a used set pretty reasonable compared to retail price.

But you also want to look at the MNNTHBX ones. They may be a little closer to what your after. They are set back a hair, but are no high that the stock pegs and have an adjustable shifter. They use the stock brake pedal so the switch won't be a problem. No spacer between the linkage and the shift rod heim joint so has a good solid feel for shifting. And you'll definitely shed weight with them being made from 6061 aluminum.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, the Driven rearsets cost $387US = $518 CDN after exchange and credit card foreign transaction charge, and BEFORE shipping, imports fees, and 12% Canadian sales taxes, so I would be looking at a total cost somewhere north of $600 CDN. I'm sorry, but they just aren't worth that much to me.

I found a set of Chinese rearsets on Amazon.ca (Canadian Amazon) that will cost me $108 CDN delivered to my door. (That's about $80 US)

They have the following features:

- CNC Machined 6061 Billet Aluminium
- Knurled Foot Pegs
- Adjustable Foot Peg positions
- Adjustable position of both gear lever and brake lever, via MULTIPLE holes for each, at BOTH pivot point and at pedal
- Anodized finish in choice of 8 colours, 3 of which are not gaudy (Black, Silver, Titanium). I chose Black
- Double Stainless Steel Ball Bearings For The both The Shift And Brake Levers
- No jackshaft
- Replacement spring provided for brake pedal to replace OEM spring
- Weigh 1.32 lb total (Yes, that includes both left and right sides)
- The usual Chinese lengthy delivery time range (3 to 6 weeks) but my last 2 Chinese shipments came in 1.5 weeks and 6 days respectively
- Canada imposes no duties on these from China

For the price, I figure I can afford to just write them off as a worthwhile experiment if for some reason they aren't as good as their description. If they DO work out, what a bargain.

Jim G

1 - 6 of 6 Posts