Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 z125 pro
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m on a grom group online and I’ve heard a few people claim that for the z125 the OEM Kawasaki oil filter is garbage and will come apart/ disintegrates causing the engine to fail when the small pieces clog up the lines.

Has anyone else heard of this before?

What brand oil filters are y’all using if not the stock oem one?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I haven't heard a single case of this. What you are probably hearing is a bunch of Grom guys trying to justify the 'oil spinner' in their bikes.
Only oil filter issue I've heard of is people installing them backwards starving the top end of oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a K&N oil filter (KN-112) mostly because that's the top result for a search besides OEM. I haven't ever had an issue with OEM filters though.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I use a K&N oil filter (KN-112) mostly because that's the top result for a search besides OEM. I haven't ever had an issue with OEM filters though.
I'd honestly stay away from K&N filters. I know it's only the canister types with the nut on the end that's been banned from racetracks, but they have had enough come apart to question their quality control.

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
Wow, @crakerjac is just taking the words right out of my mouth as I scroll down. :LOL:

Not once have I ever heard of the OEM filter coming apart. I was a service writer at a Kawasaki dealership when these first came out so I feel I would have been the first to know.
As a memebor of 11 bike forums I can tell you every single one has a horror story about K&N filters, and I have seen too many issues with my own eyes. I wouldn't use one if it was free.

+1 on HiFlo.

I’m on a grom group online and I’ve heard a few people claim that for the z125 the OEM Kawasaki oil filter is garbage and will come apart/ disintegrates causing the engine to fail when the small pieces clog up the lines.
Yes, I'm sure the grom guys are really knowledgeble about the Z125. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 z125 pro
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I'm sure the grom guys are really knowledgeble about the Z125. :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]
You might be surprised lol, most of the grom guys I’ve met around here have shared very useful knowledge and are mini bike enthusiasts / race TMGP. I personally know 4 grom guys that also own and race z125s 😊

That plus the grom Facebook group here is huge - there isn’t a z125 Facebook group in Houston 😢

·
Registered
2017 z125 pro
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the K&N filter- I’ve personally had one collapse one my Cbr1000rr race bike back in 2010.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use the Scotts re-useable stainless steel one. Clean it at every oil change and re-install.

Used the same one on my old ZX-9R for 100k+ and then my 2 Z1000's, it worked a treat. I also have on one my Z900RS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts