Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take a ride out about 50 miles from where I live to smaller, nicer city. Little did I know that the roads would go from a nice 45mph jump to 55mph and ultimately 60mph for a short stretch even. Speed limits mean nothing however, most people always always go 10+ mph over the speed limit so in a 45 I'm already doing 50 to keep up with traffic and even then most people will blow past you from behind because you're just going to slow.

Imagine the joy of seeing 60. *this is sarcasm* Which even then wouldn't have normally been so bad, but the wind as awful! It was great once I got there, 30MPH city roads, no big deal but what a relief to finally make it there and not constantly fight the wind.

Decided to look it up a and see what normal riding conditions seem to be. Looks like anything under 20mph is ok for the most part but realizing just how hard I was struggling yesterday decided to look up the wind info here in Indiana. Turns out the average wind speed was 15mph but went up to 26mph with gusts of 36mph. Seriously! I guess that explains it.

At one point, I had no choice but to remain right at 40mph because it was just too bad and was being pushed off hard to either side of the road. The truly scary moments are when it hits you left right left left right and then left again. Just a mental note to myself while riding is that just because the speed limit says 55 doesn't mean you have to do it if you find yourself in an unsafe situation.

Let the cars pass you. I would suggest pulling over until it dies down a little but it was like this all day and most may not be in a position to wait it out, if that's even a realistic option.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The scariest part for me is when the wind blows from the right side and I was being forced to be on the farthest left side of my lane and there was a car on the opposite lane. Luckily the driver was paying attention and immediately turn away from me.

Wind is on thing. But if you are also going uphill it’s terrible. One time I was doing about 35mph on an uphill with heavy winds and the speed limit is 55mph.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live right on the new jersey/delaware bay shore so i get heavy winds off the bay most of the time. 15-20 with gusts of 30-40 mph winds are normal, rarely do i see a 10 mph wind day. it get really bad when there is a storm over the bay or the ocean just east of south jersey sometimes the winds go crazy with 40-50 mph gust with 20-30 sustained

1 - 3 of 3 Posts