Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks to me the manual says 7000 miles....
image.jpg
I put 700 miles on my z in the last ten days so i put new oil in today. Just oil left the filter. Went from 10w-40 to 20w-50

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looks to me the manual says 7000 miles....
View attachment 3449
I put 700 miles on my z in the last ten days so i put new oil in today. Just oil left the filter. Went from 10w-40 to 20w-50
that has to be a mistake

im willing to bet at 7000 miles you won't have much oil left

these are high revving engines, they hold very little oil
change minimum every 2000 miles
I do 1000 miles, oil filter every other time

·
Registered
174 Posts
that has to be a mistake

Many MC OEMs specify higher oil change intervals these days since modern oils are much better than they used to be. And in average commuting the engine won't be working too hard to break down the oil that quickly. That being said, I'd say the average forum member here is riding their bike a bit harder than a daily commuter in Thailand so I'd change your oil a bit more frequently than what the OM says. It can't hurt to do it more often and it will make your engine last longer. If you are doing any engine mods you definitely need to change it more often. And put in the best MC oil you can afford to buy. There is only 1 quart of oil in there to save it from destruction.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I still have a problem believing those high mileage oil changes, IMO the best thing to do is to monitor the oil yourself leading up to those intervals, that's if you really care about your ride and plan on keeping it for a while. So unfortunately some people need to learn more and get more involved in the process.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Read your owner's manual, it is all spelled out in there. It has the minimum requirements listed that are needed to maintain your warranty coverage. So I agree with your reasoning, it's just what Kawasaki says you NEED to do AT LEAST every 7500 miles. I change mine much more often as well, depending on the usage and the season.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I change mine at 600 miles because i run the piss outa it. I wouldnt trust 7500 miles between oil changes on anything its just asking for trouble but that's my take on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
that has to be a mistake

Yes, that has to be.

I changed the oil at 250 miles - not by plan, but I found the dealer overfilled the crankcase.

And I'm glad I did - that oil was NASSS-TEEE....black. Looked like hard-used automotive crankcase drainings.

Put Mobil 1 racing cycle oil in there - 20W-50. It's hot here, so I figure it probably could use it.

Now I'm at 590 miles...time for another change. Also, I gots ta figger out where is the oil filter....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I change mine at 600 miles because i run the piss outa it. I wouldnt trust 7500 miles between oil changes on anything its just asking for trouble but that's my take on it.
Absolutely.

I've had, in the last four years, a Honda CB1100; a Honda PCX125, a V-Strom 650. ALL of them would let me know when the oil was ready for changing - the CB1100 and V-Strom would start shifting hard; and I'd get valve clatter in the PCX. Sounds insane, but I swear...I still have the PCX. Started hearing clattering (not sure if it has hydraulic tappets; haven't set valves yet) and thought it was time to either buy a manual or go to the stealership.

Changed the oil because it was ready, with 2000 miles (since I bought it; 3800 miles total) and the noise WENT AWAY except for cold starts.

No, with such a limited oil reservoir, you do NOT want to go 7000 miles. Nor 5000. 2000 is pushing it.

The filter can be done every other or even every third, but the oil must-must-must be changed. It's not hard and it's not expensive. Pull the plug, let it drain, plug it up, pour in (almost) a quart. Done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine was done at 100 miles and I just did it again today at 900 miles. Was still clean. I used Kawasaki synthetic. I am the bikes second owner and just bought it yesterday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts