Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I haven't ridden my Z in two months now but as I'm stuck in NJ but something I've been wondering. I usually fill up right when she hits two bars (which is ~100 miles on the trip meter) but I can only squeeze 1 gallon in there and I fill her up to the tippy top. Only 350 miles on her, but I know on the last 3 tanks, I'm consistently getting 100 mpg but with a two gallon tank it means I should be able to two 200 miles.

With the new Monkey, I'm trying to run this tank completely dry. I filled her up to the tippy top and reset the trip meter. At 128 miles she started blinking on her last bar. I currently have 139 miles on this tank and she's not empty. Monkey is rated at 157MPG, but even if I get realistically 100mpg * 1.5 gallon tank = 150 miles.

Has anyone run their Z bone dry? Any idea of real fuel range? I suspect these fuel gauges are super conservative so riders do not run dry on the road. I will update when I figure out when the Monkey runs dry.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've had a similar experience. Fuel gauge is screaming at me and I assume I'm rolling into the station on fumes, but the tank only accepts 1.2 ga. I'm only getting mid 80's for mpgs but I'm trying to keep up with 55mph traffic much of the time.

I want to run it dry so I can have a more realistic max range in my head, but I don't have a gas can appropriate for mounting to the back of a bike.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've had a similar experience. Fuel gauge is screaming at me and I assume I'm rolling into the station on fumes, but the tank only accepts 1.2 ga. I'm only getting mid 80's for mpgs but I'm trying to keep up with 55mph traffic much of the time.

I want to run it dry so I can have a more realistic max range in my head, but I don't have a gas can appropriate for mounting to the back of a bike.
Sounds about right, 160ish mile range per fill-up, though realistically you should be able to get closer to 200 without running dry. Interestingly the brochure states the Z has a 2 gallon fuel capacity but I've never been able to get past 1.4gal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was reading through my Monkey manual last night, and I found some new info by accident!!!

See attached, I highlighted in Red and put an arrow. So on the last bar of fuel, when that bar starts blinking, it means about half a gallon of fuel left. According to Monkey fuel economy, that should be good for 50-80 miles.
I'll keep riding to confirm.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, here are the final numbers:

2020 Honda Monkey ABS completely ran out of fuel at 188.3 miles. Based on a 1.5 gallon tank, that's 125MPG.

I was on a road close to my house heading home. It was on an incline and turn part of the road and she started cutting out. I tried to push her to keep going after the turn, once the bike leveled out, but she cut out two more times and I said enough. I did not want to damage my brand new bike's fuel pump so I cut the motor at 188.3 and pushed her home.

I know the MPG seems great but keep in mind Monkey is rated for 157MPG, and I am in break-in procedure. So all my driving was all half-throttle accelerations the whole time and I kept my speed around 30 to 35mph with only short bursts at 40mph if I had to. Even in 40mph zones I wouldn't really do more than 35mph lol unless there was a car behind me that wanted to go.

I am definitely doing this with the Z as soon as I get back to Florida.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I get about 90-100 miles before it starts blinking at me. Typically when I fill up, I'm able to put in about 1.2 - 1.4 gallons. Most of the time I'm riding wide open, the only mods are an amazon exhaust. I'm usually in the 80mpg area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts