Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this question because I think the general consensus is that the OE chain is crap, I replaced mine with one from a trusted aftermarket brand and I have to say I am displeased with its lack of performance.

So, what are other using with good results? Probably more interested in the results with bigger bore or higher HP engines and heavier riders.

Discuss........

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
420 aftermarket chains even from the best name brand suppliers can be only rated for 80/cc Max size engines. As well as offer a 420 chain rated for 150/cc engines. (picS)

Did you order and/or get the right chain ?
Exactly what 420## chain and brand did you get if i may ask

Most all chains under 2500 tensile strength (stock chain) stretch quickly
Most chains over 5000 tensile strength will hardly stretch at all

DID420NZ3 & RK420MXZ are my 2 favorite choices

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly what 420## chain and brand did you get if i may ask
Pretty sure it was an RK420SO, obviously not the same spec level as the MXZ

DID420NZ3 & RK420MXZ are my 2 favorite choices
I'll make sure I get one of those next, pity @mnnthbx don't have any 30 tooth (OE size) sprockets in stock.

Thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
Discuss........
Tensile Strength vs Wear Factor...
Tensile strength importance is mostly for high HP performance bikes. Very few chains ever break on smaller HP bikes. Most chains will go past there stretch replacement limit before they break. The ones that do break are typically from lack of maintenance or adjusted wrong. But Tensile Strength does typically dictate the Wear Factor as well, The Wear Factor is more important when buying a new chain. Most quality chain manufacturers include the Wear Factor in there spec' charts. Your not saving money when buying a cheep chain, it's actually more costly in the long run and not so much do to you have to buy 2-3 cheep chains to last as long as 1 quality chain, but because cheep chains with low Tensile Strength or low Wear Factor numbers have rapid chain stretching and wears out your sprockets faster and those are more expensive than chains.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also believe I'll be replacing the chain on my bike in the spring. After about 3500 miles it is pretty well adjusted out. My question is this though... In any other circumstance where the chain actually stretched at an understandable rate, I would replace the sprockets with the chain. However with such little actual miles on the bike, does anyone feel strongly either way as far as replacing the sprockets with the sprockets vs just replacing the chain?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If a chain is badly stretched, the sprockets are shot. Don't waste the time and money putting a new chain on worn sprockets. Replace everything with high quality parts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, yes I do. I will need a new front though. Chain should be here in the next few days, that should give me like 1 full HP, watch TF out then >:)

Mmmmm. I may need to change my injector, see if I can eek out a little extra oomph

·
Registered
7 Posts
We recommend EK or another quality Japanese chain. Beware buying on ebay and amazon, because there are sellers that sell counterfeit name brand chains. If the price is too good to be true- it probably is. Also, we can custom make almost any size rear sprocket from 30t and up and conversions. If you want a custom CNC cut- we can do it.

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
Thats the best idea I've seen this year :wink2:

Most new bike owners know what there going to use there bike for but dont know or don't want to know anything about gear ratios or know how to fit and shorten a chain properly which is the biggest issue

Guaranteed quality fit to length chain and sprocket kits and not have to ask a bunch of newbie questions and just say they want the XXXX kit.

They would not actually stock complete kits but could offer this info and then make up the kit as ordered.

My .02 would be .......
Highway kit (15t front)(100 link O-ring chain)
Performance kit (14/30) (Alum sprockets)(100 link standard chain)
Off road kit (13/30)(100 link O-ring chain)
Stunt kit (13/32)(100 link standard chain)
Tree removal kit (13/36)(102 link standard chain)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts