Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, I see a lot of videos of people with a helmet & gloves on and that about it for protection, I know it's personal preference but I'd like to know what the forum thinks and wears cause it hurts to crash no matter what you're on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't got my Z yet, but I do have my gear. I've ridden multiple motorcycles before and this is what I've done. When I rode dirt bikes, I was just in t shirt + shorts + helmet (no gloves or nothing). When I rode a cruiser at my motorcycle course for 10 hours, I was wearing a helmet, gloves, armored jacket, kakis, and sneakers. For riding on the streets on my Z, I plan to wear helmet, armored jacket, gloves, jeans, sneakers. Curious to hear what you guys do!

·
Registered
143 Posts
ATGATT, no matter what bike I'm riding, big or small.
Full leathers or motorcycle textile gear (Olympia or Aerostich), both pants and jacket. Motorcycle boots, helmet, gauntlet gloves. The pants and jackets are armored at the shoulders, elbows, back, hips and knees.

On occasion I wear jeans, but they are the motorcycle-specific kevlar lined jeans with hip and knee armor.

Stand alone back protector and Hit-Air air vest on the racetrack.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Full leathers or motorcycle textile gear (Olympia or Aerostich), both pants and jacket. Motorcycle boots, helmet, gauntlet gloves. The pants and jackets are armored at the shoulders, elbows, back, hips and knees.

On occasion I wear jeans, but they are the motorcycle-specific kevlar lined jeans with hip and knee armor.

This ^^^^ right here. For me too. And should be for everyone. Small/little bikes will hurt you every bit as bad as big bikes. ATGATT people. ATGATT!!!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Full gear here with the exception of jeans on rare occasions! When we're at the track we, of course, wear full gear and since we go to the track fairly often, it kinda just translated over to street riding.

Whether you're going 60mph on a Z125 or 60mph on a litre bike, a crash is going to be the same for both (probably a little worse on the Z...)! Dress for the slide, not the ride.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yup yup! Road rash sucks, big time. In some cases, with full gear, you get up and walk away unscathed. That's never going to happen without full gear. I think I'll keep my skin on my body. Regular jeans don't last very long in a slide.

For me, if it's too hot to put on gear, it's just too hot to ride. Then I sit in the AC and drink beer! :grin2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I haven't got my Z yet, but I do have my gear. I've ridden multiple motorcycles before and this is what I've done. When I rode dirt bikes, I was just in t shirt + shorts + helmet (no gloves or nothing). When I rode a cruiser at my motorcycle course for 10 hours, I was wearing a helmet, gloves, armored jacket, kakis, and sneakers. For riding on the streets on my Z, I plan to wear helmet, armored jacket, gloves, jeans, sneakers. Curious to hear what you guys do!

Get motorcycle specific boots (laces can get tangled in the shift/brake lever). Sneakers won't protect you and they can fly off in a crash. There are lots of good options out there, including some decent shorty boots if you don't want tall ones. Look for ones with some ankle protection/support.

Regular jeans won't hold up very long in a crash, either. They make some motorcycle jeans that are kevlar lined with hip/knee armor. Not as good as leathers or motorcycle specific textiles, but much better than regular jeans.

As TST said, dress for the slide, always.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My friend crashed his Honda but he was fine thanks to his armor.

I now follow the ATGATT rule because pavement can tear you up. I don't have full leathers but I steal my brother's gauntlets, dainese boots (yup, we're the same size), Joe Rocket mesh jacket, and kevlar jeans. Just waiting for pants with armored hips and knees to go on sale.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Many years ago I just wore tshirt, shorts and shoes. After watching skin ripped to shreds by asphalt and femurs snapped with tissue cooking on engines, crushed skulls, not to mention the majority of street crashes are other drivers, I now wear full gear. I agree your speed isn't always the issue. The same gear I wear on my Street Triple, I wear on my Z125. Schuberth helmet, full Dainese nylon jacket, pants, gloves, riding boots with full armor. Based on the design I am amazed at how light and cool to wear it actually is. In Northern CA and our weather here isn't never really bad though. For shorter quick rides I may just wear the helmet, jacket and gloves. I know my legs, feet and ankles are going to pay if I go down though

·
Registered
81 Posts

+1 for all she said. I've hit the deck enough (racing) to know that good gear is the difference between a story and scarring. I recently fell at the track in the rain with my Dainese suit, Alpinetars boots/gloves, X-lite helmet and Hit-Air airbag vest. I had a bruised hip, but otherwise no injury. My helmet didn't even touch the ground because the vest supports the head and neck.

For the street, it is Aplinestars letather jacket, zipped to A* textile pants, same helmet/gloves/boots as track. I may look silly but have way more fun when I'm not worried about road rash.

·
Registered
143 Posts
+1 for all she said. I've hit the deck enough (racing) to know that good gear is the difference between a story and scarring. I recently fell at the track in the rain with my Dainese suit, Alpinetars boots/gloves, X-lite helmet and Hit-Air airbag vest. I had a bruised hip, but otherwise no injury. My helmet didn't even touch the ground because the vest supports the head and neck.

For the street, it is Aplinestars letather jacket, zipped to A* textile pants, same helmet/gloves/boots as track. I may look silly but have way more fun when I'm not worried about road rash.
Amen. I hit the deck a couple of times on the track, one time sliding on my *** for quite a distance, then hit the grass and tumbled. Walked away unscathed. That would never have happened if I were in jeans, sneakers, god forbid shorts, etc. I'd have been in the ER getting gravel scrubbed out of my ***. I understand that is excruciatingly painful. Skin grafts suck. It can be mostly avoided with good gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Full leathers or motorcycle textile gear (Olympia or Aerostich), both pants and jacket. Motorcycle boots, helmet, gauntlet gloves..
This. Whatever I wear on my Panigale, I wear on the Z. I'm debating getting a bright/loud textile jacket for more visibility, though.

I usually wear kevlar-lined jeans/joe rocket leather jacket/gauntlet gloves/short or tall astars boots.

Or if it's cold, full leathers lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm like a walking billboard for icon when I ride. Icon tarmac shoes, reaver jacket, icon pants, gloves and the icon double stack variant helmet all green and black except the pants and shoes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dammit Zaph, I'm trying to eat dinner here. :D

For any kind of street riding I usually wear some beat to **** Gaerne Boots that were originally owned by Eric Wood, Dainese knee/shin guards, padded shorts, Fire Hose pants, mesh Joe Rocket jacket with bright yellow mesh over-vest, AlpineStar gauntlets, and an Airmada helmet. Obviously I don't have much brand loyalty.

I was an EMT at one point in my life, so I do as much as I can to not get some of the injuries I have seen. I've never had road rash and would like to keep it that way. That **** looks awful.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts