Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
$56 Annually

Annoyingly that's higher than my more valuable bike with better coverage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow - progressive quoted me - age 54 - clean record - at nearly $500 annually with full coverage at $500 deductibles.
Higher than my 2016 Harley Fatboy
Nuts!

·
Registered
818 Posts
$500 a year with a $500 deductible isn't that much less than the bike is worth. These bikes are so cheap you are better just carrying liability and writing off any damage.

I'm clearly doing something wrong.
I find that 3 is the magic number when it comes to number of bikes on a single insurance policy...

·
Registered
917 Posts
I find that 3 is the magic number when it comes to number of bikes on a single insurance policy...
Hmm, I had 3 insured for a couple of months until I sold the Honda, a nice little discount, but they certainly didn't pay me to add the 125.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I dunno. My wife looped my VFR1200 a few years back... maybe that fell off their radar at the same time I added the Z. I've learned to not ask questions when things land in my favor...

·
Registered
42 Posts
wow - progressive quoted me - age 54 - clean record - at nearly $500 annually with full coverage at $500 deductibles.
Higher than my 2016 Harley Fatboy
Nuts!
The harley is way harder to steal.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You have to look around. Here in British Columbia, Canada, you are forced to buy liability insurance from The Government, but can buy collission, comprehensive and theft from private companies. The differences are very, very interesting.

The Government run insurance ("ICBC") gives you no breaks for multiple vehicles, and does penalize you with more cost if there is a 2nd licensed motorcycle rider in the home. We also have to carry about $2 million liability insurance for real liability protection, because attorneys have made Canada a place where even everyday injury accidents lead to huge payments to the injured.

ICBC also does not appear to understand that a 600cc sportbike can be much more powerful and dangerous than a 1700cc cruiser. They base their rates on DISPLACEMENT ALONE! The 4 categories are under 400cc, under 750cc, under 1100cc, and all larger than 1100cc.

The 8 or 9 hp Z125 qualifies for the under 400cc of course. But so does my Yamaha R3 (320cc) that has been lightened by 46 lb down to 299 lb before gas and has a Graves engine/intake/exhaust kit that delivers 47rwhp. ICBC charges me about $32 PER MONTH for each bike. ICBC also charges me $104 per month (remember this is $2 million liability only) for my brand new Kawasaki ZX-14R (1441 cc). So, my liability only insurance bill for the 3 bikes is now $168 per month.

I buy my collision, comprehensive, and theft from a private carrier. I used to pay $20 each per month for the 2 bikes. Then I added the brand new Kawasaki ZX-14R superbike (over 200 crank hp, 190+ mph). My agent called me and told me that since I was over 65 years old, and since I was the only licensed motorcycle rider in the home, and I have absolutely clean record going back decades, and this is my 3rd concurrent bike, incredibly, not only would I get my ZX-14R (3rd bike) covered for 50% off, but also my premiums for the existing 2 bikes would drop by 50%. No kidding. I now pay $10 each per month for the 2 small bikes and $24 per month for the (brand new) ZX-14R. So my net private insurance bill went from $20x2 = $40 per month for the 2 small bikes, to $44 per month for the 3 bikes including the expensive and very powerful superbike.

So, yeah, do some shopping around. Every insurance carrier appears to do things differently.

Jim G

·
Super Moderator
307 Posts
^^The BC Government is all kinds of special. Here in Alberta I pay $128 per year, full coverage(z125 only). It went up $2 from last year :(.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here in Long Island NY, I have comprehensive for $100 per year.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Each insurance company has its own rates for insurance of various cars. For example, I pay $ 70 and I am quite satisfied with the terms of the insurance. Now it is really important to find a good insurance company, so as not to run into scammers who will only rip off your money. Before insuring my car I carefully studied the question of proper insurance at http://bclawreview.org/how-to-buy-auto-insurance-checking-account/ where I learned a lot of nuances that were important in making a decision about choosing an insurance company

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I first got the bike a few years ago it was $90 annually but now it's $65. Add that it only cost me a $1.75 to fill the bike up the other day and it surely brings a smile to the face. I'm with Progressive, seems like one of the best for motorcycle insurance. I still found it hilarious that American Family wanted to classify the Z as a super moto (somehow) and had quoted me something ridiculously off the charts. I had asked if they were serious multiple times and to verify the information to be correct that's how absurd it was then I switched companies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Roughly 80 in seattle area with gieco for the year. I mainly got it for theft because there so easy to pick up and put into a truck bed while your asleep or parked in public somewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
insurance

My 2020 is $10 a month for comp and collision. I also added a $10,000 personal medical coverage (just to cover deductable on my health ins.) that is an additional $12/mo.
This is through Geico and I guess Im getting a multi rate because I have a side by side on the same policy. Im 55.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Progressive dropped my insurance $20 per year when I added the Z... But I think they're expecting me to ride my CBR1100XX less often... Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Currently paying ~600 a year with Progressive. This is my first time ever riding a bike (3 days in), so I got full coverage for theft, and totaled bike with 100$ deductible. I got my 2019 Z used w/ 900 miles for 2200, so within 6 months If it is stolen, or totaled I would make a few hundred dollars on the loss, including the money paid into insurance.

Defiantly plan to do bare minimum insurance after 6 months or so. Which will be about $150 a year

1 - 20 of 22 Posts