Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve got the cheapie Amazon exhaust, fender eliminator, Bride seat, Kenda Kwick tires, bar end mirrors, shorty levers, reflective wheel tape installed, and LED headlight about to be installed.. What are some other simple mods I can do? (FWIW, not really interested in a big bore kit, stunt gear, or a stretch at the moment.) I’d like some sort of subtle underlight kit, or perhaps some new pegs to match the new dark grey short levers. Totally open to options!

- OR -

What is your favorite mod you’ve done to your Z? Post pics if you can!

Here’s a pic right before I put the bar end mirrors on, which are a hell of an upgrade, btw!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Favorite mod. Quick turn throttle. ~$8 on Amazon (link). It's white and not black as pictured and fitment was pretty shitty out of the box... so a little elbow grease was required to get it fitting properly.

1. Throttle tube was a closed end design, so I popped/cut/broke the closed portion off.
2. Installed on bike without grips and saw that the throttle dragged when returning. Sanded the cam on the tube so it didn't drag on the inside of the switch housing.
3. Remove throttle tube and apply a quick coat (or two) of black spray paint. Before the paint completely dries, install your grip (try not to make a mess). Once the paint dries, the grip wont spin on the tube.
4. Reinstall tube on bike and check throttle action. If it's dragging again, sand down the high sides again. Shouldn't have to hit the painted areas that are visible when installed.
5. Let 'er rip tater chip.

As you can see, only a small piece is visible that I had to paint.

·
Registered
894 Posts
+1

For a bike that's being ridden WOT 90% of the time, it's nice to be able to get there more easily. Nice write up too.

I bought mine directly from Motion Pro and got a black one. ¯\(ツ)

You've already done better tires, I'd say HD Clutch Kit / lightened primary gear. The two combined are just under $100 and completely transform the way your clutch behaves. Clutch is more important than the primary, and cheaper, but if you've got $65 to spare you're already in there and it's worth the cash.

Oh! And you can always make a $25 DIY intake*. The stock airbox is as much of a bottleneck as the stock exhaust, if not more.

*Depending on how much you like your hearing.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I bought mine directly from Motion Pro and got a black one. ¯\(ツ)
Yeah, when I opened mine up my first thought is that mine was a knockoff. It looked and felt like someone had just 3D printed the throttle tube. Once I got it to stop dragging and got some paint on it, it seems sturdy enough and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My only complaint is that it has significantly more diametrical slop than the OEM set-up. But who knows, that could be pro-taper's fault.

Any thoughts on how to take up the space but keep it moving smoothly? A self-adhesive PTFE would be ideal but maybe I can just layer up some PTFE sealing tape and hope for the best.

It's a low priority, it only bugs me when I fiddle with it at red lights, I don't notice it while riding.

(Sorry H.A. for the topic derail.)

·
Vendor
672 Posts
My only complaint is that it has significantly more diametrical slop than the OEM set-up. But who knows, that could be pro-taper's fault.

Any thoughts on how to take up the space but keep it moving smoothly? A self-adhesive PTFE would be ideal but maybe I can just layer up some PTFE sealing tape and hope for the best.

It's a low priority, it only bugs me when I fiddle with it at red lights, I don't notice it while riding.

(Sorry H.A. for the topic derail.)
There's an obvious benefit to buying a $15 throttle tube vs. a $80 tube, and I fully get that. With that said, you can't beat our G2 throttle tubes from a performance standpoint. Billet, riding on delrin bushing. The slop and initial fitment issues you're dealing with simple don't exist on the G2.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
handamputation how is the Bride seat vs stock? Is the fitment good? How is the comfort?
To be honest, when I first got the Bride I wasn't in love with it. It fits great and definitely feels softer than the stock seat, but I wasn't into how it made me feel like I was being pushed forward. Maybe it just took some time to get used to, because now I absolutely love it! Seems quite comfortable now that I've put a few miles on it. I'm not super tall (5ft 10 on a good day), so I imagine it'd be even more cramped for a taller person. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Good info, in my mind the G2 was metal on metal contact which seemed crazy to me.

^^ This is what makes the G2 worth $80. I think this is where your slop is coming from... If I understand your post correctly.
Yup! I think I saw some 3/4" Delrin rod stock kicking around the shop... the resident machinist is a fellow biker... Hmmmm...

Then again it might have been Radel. XD

Back on topic, are you favoring anything at this point handamputation?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts