Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the special tool necessary to check/adjust the valves? Gonna be coming up on 1k soon and wanted to take a peek.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Checking your valve clearance early is not a bad idea. Some owners here have mentioned their clearance was tight early on and you want enough clearance to make it to the 7600 mile scheduled inspection. Mine was right in the middle of the range but I opened it up to the max since I'm going to be riding it very hard. You will need a 9mm box wrench, a very small adjustable wrench (or the 3mm special tool) and feeler gauges that include .002" through .004" blades. You should be able to find all these online or at a decent auto parts/motorcycle store. There are special tools from Motion Pro, Kawasaki, etc. that make the job easier but you should have no problem if you are familiar with adjustable rockers. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the first check required is at 7000 miles or 7400 can't remember

but here is the tool I had to buy to check, since the 2 sets of feeler gauges I had didnt go small enough

Dirt Bike Feeler Gauge Valve Adjustment Shim Bucket Style Metic inch Fastheads | eBay

there is a tiny square tool needed to adjust, but you can get away with angled needle nose pliers

but to check just the feeler gauges
Thanks, yeah I ordered that set a while back. In fact, I think I recommended it to you on another post. I'm gonna go at it tomorrow and see what I find.

Checking your valve clearance early is not a bad idea. Some owners here have mentioned their clearance was tight early on and you want enough clearance to make it to the 7600 mile scheduled inspection. Mine was right in the middle of the range but I opened it up to the max since I'm going to be riding it very hard. You will need a 9mm box wrench, a very small adjustable wrench (or the 3mm special tool) and feeler gauges that include .002" through .004" blades. You should be able to find all these online or at a decent auto parts/motorcycle store. There are special tools from Motion Pro, Kawasaki, etc. that make the job easier but you should have no problem if you are familiar with adjustable rockers. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Thanks, main reason I'm doing it early is because unfortunately I cant bring it in for the initial checkup/maintenance. Kinda just gonna go over everything myself and pray for the best. I've got the service manual and a full shop so I am fairly confident I can pull this off. As for the feeler gauges I should be fine with the set I have listed above. I guess nobody really uses the special tool anyway so I'm sure I'll figure something out :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts