Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at upgrading the forks on my 0 mile Z while my arm is still broken. Who has done what? Are you happy with the investment?

From what I see, I have 3 options:

1. Ohlins fork kit
  2. Racing Bros fork kit
  3. Thicker oil/heavier springs
I am leaning towards 2 or 3. I had a Racing Bros shock on my last Z and I liked it... Ohlins would be nice, but I would like the front and rear to match... Ohlins shock is >$100 more than the Racing Bros.

Has anyone just done thicker oil and/or heavier springs? What did you go with?

Any other options I should look at?

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Ohlins fork kit is $80 less and comes with both springs (with tool to compare both of them), and the shock on Man in the Box also says it has both springs. But you are looking at almost $1000 for both ends. The Ohlins front and rear doesn't seem to be that much more when purchased as a set compared to the Racing Brothers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally I ran 20wt oil at the first oil change(10wt is stock) and it was a good improvement. Firmed up the ride, less dive under braking and not as harsh as heavier springs. After more engine & brake upgrades 30 wt oil seemed even better. Recently, I got the Racing Bros fork kit since I wanted to be able to dial the front end in while at the track. I have tried a few clicker adjustments now and it is very predictable on the track. Others who have ridden the bike were impressed with the front suspension. I don't think the Ohlins kit has external adjusters?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Correct, no external adjustment on the Ohlins, but in saying that they are REALLY good and a huge improvement over the OE forks, for street riding anyway. Track may be a different story.

·
Registered
877 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Depending on what the tool option from Steady Garage really is, for slightly less I found this "universal" tool for a bench vise:
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/park-tool-usa-aluminum-vise-insert/

You could probably use two C clamps to hold them together, or sacrifice some of the sizes to drill holes for through bolts to use as a clamp.

Looking back at the directions, you could probably take a couple of big hunks of aluminum and cut 2 sets of 60 degree V cuts in them (in pairs). Make sure the cuts are big enough to handle the biggest diameter for each size (39mm and 15mm). Should be pretty cheap and doesn't need to be great either since how often will you need to do this job???

You could also use common V blocks or even V clamps (think there is a vicegrip style for these).

I know some people have just used wood blocks from 2x2 or 2x4 or whatever is sitting around.

The 17mm hex wrench might be the harder tool to find, but not impossible.

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
17mm allen or any allen for that matter can be made using a bolt and double nutting / Use the top double nut for tightening and use the bottom double nut for loosing .

Attachments

Reactions: pistonpete
1 - 14 of 14 Posts