Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have zero clue what I'm doing here, tried unscrewing these bolts, so I can install my brembo front brake calipers but nothing is working :/, Not sure if I got the right tools for this job or what since I brought a new toolkit yesterday actually and really don't want to pay for a shop to do it for me to be honest lol... Tips on how to get these things off without stripping these bolts would be nice :) Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
Those bolts are super tight because they have red lock-tight from factory.
BUT... You used the wrong size socket (1/2") and the bolts look like there rounded off now.
You need a 12mm socket and with the bolts rounded off now you really need a 6 point socket (see pic 1)
If you cant tap the socket on for a good bite you will have to use a vise grip pliers or whatever you have available (see pic 2 )

SOCKET 6 VS 12 POINT.png A96-New-7-Pro-Straight-Jaw-Locking-Mole-Plier-Vise-Vice-Grips-Pliers-Welding-Tool.jpg

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'll recommend another trip to a tool store. Buy yourself a cheap propane torch, not too much money. If you heat the loctite it will yield, don't need red hot, just a couple hundred degrees will do the job. Just be careful around the tire and the brake line. Bernzomatic WK2301 Propane Torch Kit-333084 - The Home Depot

You might be able to clean up the corners of those bolts with a metal file, then give a 12mm wench a try if you have one. A somewhat small triangle file would be my choice, and may make sense if we need to go to a more final step. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWRENCH-8-in-Triangle-*******-File-82825/303851221

Don't be afraid of the tools that Harbor freight sells, for the most part they are decent enough and normally can save you a few dollars while you get going. I put links for home depot because you have other tools from them so there must be one close to you.

As mentioned, everything on these bikes is going to be metric.

These are not the best wrenches, but they will get work done Raised Panel SAE & Metric Combination Wrench Set, 22 Pc. If you have wrenches with your other tools, they would be good too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those bolts are super tight because they have red lock-tight from factor.
BUT... You used the wrong size socket (1/2") and the bolts look like there rounded off now.
You need a 12mm socket and with the bolts rounded off now you really need a 6 point socket (see pic 1)
If you cant tap the socket on for a good bite you will have to use a vise grip pliers or whatever you have available (see pic 2 )

View attachment 26144 View attachment 26145
Awwww okay thanks.... Thinking about giving this another shot tomorrow on my day off actually, your tip of using vise grip pliers actually helped with my Yamaha v star because I had the time of my life trying to get rid of the right mirror of that bike. I might have to buy some replace bolts for the mount at Home Depot just in case especially if I'm going to use those pliers again.

@Greg o.o Not trying to burn my bike up XD, I like the pliers better but will keep that tip in mind... I actually got a husky tool kit from Home Depot a few days ago... I just need to learn how to use it :) since I'm new to working on bikes.

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
I agree with @Greg_E that the HomeDepot bolts are inadequate. Front brake to me is the most important safety feature on a bike. They're tight for a reason, and HQ steel for the same reason.

The right bolts are relatively cheap compared to the cost of your brake failing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks guys, I think I'm going to wait and just call Kawasaki and order bolts off of them. One last thing I'm trying to get some better rotors put on the front. What tools do I need to remove the front wheel off the bike?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really appreciate you guys help :D, I'll let you guys know how everything goes in the upcoming weeks :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you can afford it get yourself a rattle gun it’s not for killing rattle snakes Lol
I’ve got a ozito rattle gun plus it comes with 10 sockets from 8mm to 24mm it will get those bolt undone in seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you can afford it get yourself a rattle gun it’s not for killing rattle snakes Lol
I’ve got a ozito rattle gun plus it comes with 10 sockets from 8mm to 24mm it will get those bolt undone in seconds.

Okay here we go lol

·
Registered
971 Posts
Don't need an impact, just clean up the corners and put a metric socket on there, should be enough material left to get them out. If you are on a buying spree for tools, look at the battery powered stuff from Bauer, Rigid, or Ryobi, maybe Hart from Walmart. The previous three have been around for a while and will probably be around for many more. Get brushless motors whenever possible.

If you are on a buying spree for tools, I'd suggest one of the "big" mechanic's sets like one of the 300 piece set or 200 piece sets. All the way down to Pittsburgh (Pro) or up to whatever you can afford. Something like the Husky or Pittsburgh that you can walk into a store to exchange a damaged tool can be useful, but I've broken few tools in all my years and most of my stuff is cheap. If you need a pipe on the end of a tool, you probably should get a larger wrench, but I also cheat with extenders too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts