Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
UPDATE!!!!

So I got the Z back on Wednesday and I have put 100 miles on it since.

I've attached pics of the "burnt" clutch plates. Some things I noticed. Admittedly I have never replaced a wet clutch and don't have any experience with what "burnt" plates on a wet clutch should look like.

-There are some discolored areas (black spots) on the steel plates.
-Friction material looks fine.
-If steels were FLAT I would expect even discoloration all around, not spots. Some steels were not discolored at all. This indicates a warped plate to me.
-I asked about flatness on the steels. Of course dealer manager says they were within spec. I asked the mechanic who wheeled the bike out for me. He said of course they measured but he didn't do the work so he doesn't know. I doubt they tested flatness.
-During the 100 miles since I got the bike back it made the sound a couple of times. I noticed it only happened after I was clutching "a lot", meaning riding twisting roads, shifting back and forth between 2nd and 3rd, then rolling stop and pull away in 2nd after pulling in the clutch.
-The sound is MUCH quieter now. I have a feeling that as the steels warm up they may distort slightly.
-Another possibility is that the clutch springs (they were not replaced) may be defective and have different spring rates, which would cause uneven pressure as the clutch engages.

I noticed yesterday that my chain was about 0.5" too loose. I had checked it before around 50 miles and thought that it was on the tight side of the spec, maybe I didn't have the top section tight when measuring. Maybe it stretched. I've never had a chain stretch so much within 200 miles but this chain is a lot smaller than on my other bikes.

If the sound was a one and done I would say chain slack, but the repeated "clack clack clack clack" makes me think not the chain. Yes, it went from "CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK" to "clack clack clack clack" lol.

Overall frequency and severity of the sound has been greatly reduced.

I'm riding it to the beach and back after work today, 100 mile round trip, after adjusting the chain. Will see how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote: "I noticed yesterday that my chain was about 0.5" too loose. I had checked it before around 50 miles and thought that it was on the tight side of the spec, maybe I didn't have the top section tight when measuring. Maybe it stretched. I've never had a chain stretch so much within 200 miles but this chain is a lot smaller than on my other bikes."

Yeah, the little 420 chains on these small bikes will stretch a lot at first then settle down. They will still wear over time and require regular adjustments more often than what a larger 520 chain requires. Replace it with a better quality, name brand chain and it might last longer. I'm running a good quality RK Racing chain on my track bike and it still requires an adjustment after every outing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So I tightened up the chain and in the next 175 miles I have not heard the lighter "clack" sound.

I think this closes my issue. Replacing the clutch plates took care of it. Happy to have the bike back on the road so I can begin to mod it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone noticed this?

Rolling stop, 2nd gear. Let clutch out as rolling on throttle, before hitting friction zone, terrible noise, sounds like cam chain or clutch basket. Sometimes heard giving 3k-4k throttle, SLOWLY releasing clutch. Potentially in rolling stop/start in 1st gear too, only when bike is moving.

I noticed the sound on normal shifts. PS I am experienced rider, have owned 5 bikes, a dozen standard shift cars, I know how to shift. This made me experiment, and found the rolling slowly, letting clutch out slowly with a small amount of throttle would produce the sound. My bike has 50 miles on it.

Took it to the dealer and spoke with a younger mechanic. He knew exactly what I was talking about. He asked Kawi about it and there response was, "don't do that."

The trannys in these bikes were originally set up as automatics. I believe Kawi quickly converted them, instead of designing a new, purpose built manual tranny, to get the bike to market ASAP to take a bite out of Grom sales.

This is not an "official kawi issue" so there is no recall or anything. The fear I have though is that this WILL become a problem several thousand miles down the road, long after our warranty has expired.

Dealer told me to just ride it. Hopefully as it breaks in sound goes away. If I'm not trying to produce it it comes around about every 5th or 6th rolling start in 2nd.

I was surprised not to find anything about this on the internet when the mechanic knew exactly what I was talking about.

Anyone ever hear this?
I am currently experiencing this issue with my 2018, I was searching for a similar issue, hoping to find a solution but it sounds like the only option is another tranny

41 - 45 of 45 Posts