Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sounds like a cheap clutch combined with the fact that you kept riding the clutch to listen for the noise. If it's just a bad clutch, eat the $35 and be happy you aren't splitting the case and parts inside the tranny. If you replace the clutch, THEN go raise a stink at your dealer. I find pooping on the floor gets people attention REAL quick.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sounds like a cheap clutch combined with the fact that you kept riding the clutch to listen for the noise. If it's just a bad clutch, eat the $35 and be happy you aren't splitting the case and parts inside the tranny. If you replace the clutch, THEN go raise a stink at your dealer. I find pooping on the floor gets people attention REAL quick.
I don't want to have to pay them 300 bucks for the service. That's the bigger issue. Assuming the burnt clutch is the problem and not a symptom of something else.

I noticed this during normal shifts within the first 50 miles.

I do like your idea about defecating on the floor.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dealer just called back they are going to replace the clutch as a "gesture of goodwill".

I should get it back middle of next week. I'll ride it for a few days and make sure it's fixed. Then I have plans!

Parts have been arriving:
AEM wideband O2 sensor and gauge.
18mm O2 bung
EFIE controller so I can decrease the AFR
Hobart 210 MVP Mig welder (stepping up from stick welder)

Going to take AFR readings stock and then after DIY intake and exhaust. Will use EFIE to keep AFR around 13. My goal is to do intake and exhaust without a $500 fuel controller and keep AFR from leaning out.

Will report back on the wideband project in a new thread, and let you all know how I make out with the warranty work next week.

Thanks for all the moral support.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If you are going to step up your welder, I would suggest getting a multi-process that can do MIG, TIG, stick. I'd like to get one that will do A/C TIG, but can't afford one right now. But thinking DC with spoolgun for aluminum might get me 90% there. The Vulcans from Harbor Freight are getting good reviews and might be worth a look before you buy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If you are going to step up your welder, I would suggest getting a multi-process that can do MIG, TIG, stick. I'd like to get one that will do A/C TIG, but can't afford one right now. But thinking DC with spoolgun for aluminum might get me 90% there. The Vulcans from Harbor Freight are getting good reviews and might be worth a look before you buy.
I ordered it already. Went with Hobart (USA made by same company that owns Miller). It can do 3/8" steel in a single pass, but you can dial it back for sheetmetal work. Got the spool gun with it for aluminum and stainless work. I have 220V in my garage, this model can run on 110 or 220. Metal drive gear. Personally I wouldn't trust harbor freight for power tools you want to last for more than one job. Hand tools, that's another story. I have tons of HF wrenches and sockets.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That is purely crap, you'd be better of with them telling you to go jump. Then you could buy a new clutch pack and get on with life.
I know it. Sucks.

Only plus is I'm getting lots of work on my XJ done. Top end is buttoned up, carbs are 90%, next up is rebuild rear calipers before chain and sprockets come this weekend.

Lemon law in CT kicks in after a total of 30 calendar days off the road. So I'm trying to just take it in stride in case new clutch pack doesn't fix it.

Regardless, as soon as I get it back, I'm cracking it open and taking a look myself to see if I spot any damage.

$&#%ing dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What dealer is it from.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What dealer is it from.
Enfield Motorsports.

They called today and told me the friction plates arrived but not the steels??? Why would they have not shipped at once? I'm going to call Kawi again to see if they are BSing me. Wouldn't be surprised if they miss-ordered. They say the steels arrive Tuesday.

Assuming they arrive on Tuesday, and assuming they get them installed same day, that would mean this thing has been at dealer for 27 days.

Ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
Enfield reviews ...

YA, LOOKS LIKE THEY SUCK !

1.0 star rating
Terrible customer service, was very rude and hung up on us after we said thank you and weren't interested. Very disappointed and do not buy.
1.0 star rating
Horrendous post sale support. Once they close the deal they couldn't care less about helping you. Every time I call it seems like such a bother for them to even answer the phone. Rude, lazy, and unprofessional. Go somewhere else...
1.0 star rating
Horrible customer service, kept getting put on hold and then was told they were closed until monday (call date SAT) and horrible when it comes to ordering parts through them. Its been almost two weeks and my parts still havnt arrived at Enfield even though I called Friday and was told they would arrive Friday afternoon. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND. Order your parts online through someone else
1.0 star rating
I really hate to leave a bad review cause I know how hard it is to run a business, and always have perfect customer service. That being said I have been in numerous times, and had numerous poor experiences, and seeing the others reviews that echo my own experience i feel its warranted. three trips for three tries to cut klr250 keys. they finally made me bring the bike there to let them try. Being hung up on while holding for parts twice today.... I only keep trying cause they are the only kawi dealer within 30 miles. One time the lady was reaming someone out and it was audible from the entire sales floor. some of them are nice, but you really can't bank on a good experience here. Sorry to say.

I am a long time motorcycle enthusiast and have bought bikes from Enfield more than once. In the last month I purchased a new Titan snowmobile trailer from Enfield and I could have bought one elsewhere for less however I wanted to support a local dealer. When I went to pick up the trailer I decided to purchase a spare tire and spare tire mount and two atv tubes(again much more expensive than if I had bought online, I mention this to stress that we we have choices) and add it to my bill. A couple weeks later I get around to installing the tube and see that they sold me the wrong stem type(it was rubber and you need a metal stem with nuts to stop the tube from shearing the stem off) I decided to try it anyway and after one ride it sheared the stem. I returned to the store today to exchange the other tube which I didnt open for the correct one and was told I couldn't because it was over 10 days. I asked the parts guy to check with the owner and explained I just purchased the trailer etc... he left and came back in a few minutes to tell me the owner said we do not take back tubes.I left the dealership without a refund or exchange extremely dissapointed. I left the tube there too.....apparently they need the money more than me.

I am at a total loss for words. It blows my mind that this business is so short sighted and can't see that they lost a customer. I will never set foot in that dealership again and neither will my friends. That $30 tube is going to cost them thousands. Foolish.
there was 3 good reviews, but they were buying something reviews . wait till they take it back :crying:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I live in central CT. Drove to the North end to pick up the Z ($3080) OTD and to the South end same day to pick up my GF's Grom (3430 OTD). Personally I'm more than willing to drive for a deal. The service usually isn't an issue as I do all my wrenching myself... but in this case there was a warranty, and as a matter of principal I figured they should fix it and make it right. If I had any idea it would end like this I would have just bought the parts and been riding weeks ago.

The only bright side of this whole thing is that I will be within 3 "in the shop calendar days" of CT's lemon law. So if the clutch doesn't fix my problem, I'll be that much closer to washing my hands of this thing.

It's a real shame. Biggest bummer is I'm holding off on the Corbin seat until I know the bike is fixed. It has a lead time of about 4 weeks. I could have gotten the seat in less time than it is taking these clowns to change a clutch.

In the words of Donald Trump.... Sad!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guys here is a video of the sound. I've never heard clutch chatter before, is this it?

(snipped)

https://youtu.be/zRUOcR7da4Q
Thanks for recording. My wife's little Z makes the same noise occasionally, quieter though. Happened within the first few rides. She is a brand-new rider but she has logged probably a grand total of 50 km on the bike since last year, and I rode the rest of the 300km or so. Barely even broken in. My own little Z purchased at the same time doesn't make that noise and I ride both bikes the same way.

·
Registered
972 Posts
OK, going to tag onto this thread...

Which clutch kit? When slipping the clutch in first gear, I definitely feeling a kind of pulsing that I've never had in any other bike. And as we know, the clutch just feels weak. So at a grand total of 35 miles, I want to put in a better clutch system. I checked with Rekluse, and they don't have a slipper for the KLX110 or the Z125.

So do I buy a KLX110 or the Man in the Box heavy duty clutch kit, or something else?

Also what cable do I want, that right angle coming out of the grip is a small problem, think I remember people talking about KLX cables that are straight out of the grip, this would work better with my clipons.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts