Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I had a great day at the 61 kartways go kart track...save for a nice 30mph lowside. Overall the track is a blast to ride, the picture does not do it justice! tons of elevation change and some challenging corners. downside? a little bit slick of a track in my opinion. At least for the stock tires anyway... I was on the limit much of the day with little slips and recovery's but I stayed on it. In all fairness, the lowside was more of a rider error than a slick track where it happened because of trail-braking too hard into the corner. I hate when my go pro sees me like this! But, thankfully no noticeable damage save for some scrapes on my bar end mirrors and under my passenger foot pegs. :(

·
Registered
92 Posts

I had a great day at the 61 kartways go kart track...save for a nice 30mph lowside. Overall the track is a blast to ride, the picture does not do it justice! tons of elevation change and some challenging corners. downside? a little bit slick of a track in my opinion. At least for the stock tires anyway... I was on the limit much of the day with little slips and recovery's but I stayed on it. In all fairness, the lowside was more of a rider error than a slick track where it happened because of trail-braking too hard into the corner. I hate when my go pro sees me like this! But, thankfully no noticeable damage save for some scrapes on my bar end mirrors and under my passenger foot pegs. :(
Sorry to read about the lowside. Looks to be an amazing complex! Hope you + the little Z won't be too sore tomorrow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At least all the little Z got were some scrapes. Going to change out the tires before taking on the track again?
for sure if I go back to that track! but I am also working on a few other things because my son is getting better at riding it, i want to lower it a couple inches for him, and I have a few CF tidbits I am starting to work on including a new fender eliminator.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dang. I had a similar experience the first (and so far only) time I took my Z to a kart track. Crashed on the first lap. (I'm an experienced track rider on "big" bikes). Those stock tires, once you lean a bit, they want to fall over. Very twitchy. Or so the guy running miniGP said, and he has a ton of experience with miniGP and all sorts of bikes. I may give it another go, but I'll try with better tires. LOL.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Think of the scrapes as battle scars. Glad to hear you had a good time and at least you got to push it out to some limits. Interested to hear which tires you plan on changing to though

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm thinking Mitas. The Bridgestones look good too, but are a lot more expensive. Those were the two that the guy who runs miniGP recommended. A lot of guys also seem to like the Dunlops and the Michelin Power Pures.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't really decided which to go with but I have been exploring options trying to find a true race tire. The Michelin tires look great for the street, but in the past with my CBR's the edge grip made me nervous...with the 2ct compound you get a "falling off a cliff" feeling before you get on the edge, an to me seemed like after that, they held great until they let go.. but they did so without much of a warning.

I have been really looking at Bridgestones but as Hondagal said they are pricey, and the Dunlops have some pretty solid followers so I may go that route. Another option from TYGA is the IRC tires which were developed for racing with Groms, and they seem promising as well but come from overseas and I haven not really found and reviews on them. I will write up a comparo though to whichever I get vs. the stock tires.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking Mitas. The Bridgestones look good too, but are a lot more expensive. Those were the two that the guy who runs miniGP recommended. A lot of guys also seem to like the Dunlops and the Michelin Power Pures.
I might go with Mitas too... I forgot about those and they look great..just hope they work great as well...havent found reviews on them either

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dang. I had a similar experience the first (and so far only) time I took my Z to a kart track. Crashed on the first lap. (I'm an experienced track rider on "big" bikes). Those stock tires, once you lean a bit, they want to fall over. Very twitchy. Or so the guy running miniGP said, and he has a ton of experience with miniGP and all sorts of bikes. I may give it another go, but I'll try with better tires. LOL.
First lap is too quick to tip it in! You gotta work some heat into the compound first. How many miles did you have on 'em at the time?

·
Registered
143 Posts
First lap is too quick to tip it in! You gotta work some heat into the compound first. How many miles did you have on 'em at the time?
The tires had over 600 miles on them. Yeah, I'm totally aware of the need to put heat in the tires, I wasn't going very fast, it was a tight turn, I didn't think I leaned it very much at all. I think I hit the curbing...

Even trying to lean it a bit more later, when the tires were definitely up to temp - it was twitchy and at a point, it felt like it wanted to 'fall over'. We'll see what better tires do.

Had the pressures lowered for the track, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts