Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the Top Speed you've been able to get on your Z125?
On the Flats? Downhill?

What performance mods, aerodynamic enhancements, or weight reductions have you done to help?

What Top Speed are you trying for and/or would be enough for you?

NOTE: I am in no way advocating that any member exceed posted speed limits or ride dangerously in any way on the Streets. A closed circuit would be best for Top Speed Run tests. Take it to the Track!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is strange, full tuck on a flat, can hit 73 on stock geared on the grom (175lb rider). I'm sure after some more break in, it'll get better.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the manufacturer spec for the top speed ?
Manufacturers rarely quote top speed. It's probably a Product Liability thing demanded by their legal department...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im in Australia so we use kilometers per hour and at that I manage to get 109kph bouncing off the limiter with no headwind. I was quite impressed! My commute in the mornings and afternoons involve about 10 minutes on the highway so it was important it could get to 100 with a little spare in reserve. I wanted one badly when they launched and was worried being a 125 it wouldn't get there but the first ride confirmed the fact and pen went to paper! ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know some guys even justified having a Grom on the highway but apparently it can get scary due to all the shaking. Just have to stick to the right lane I guess

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know some guys even justified having a Grom on the highway but apparently it can get scary due to all the shaking. Just have to stick to the right lane I guess
They must be extra unstable then cause on the Z she feels pretty okay unless you get some heavy crosswinds. Other than that the only other issue is being up so high in the revs that theres vibration through the pegs and bars that can feel irritating after a while.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They must be extra unstable then cause on the Z she feels pretty okay unless you get some heavy crosswinds. Other than that the only other issue is being up so high in the revs that theres vibration through the pegs and bars that can feel irritating after a while.
My Grom (with a Beams slip-on and Chimera intake) tops out at about 64mph/103kph on the flats right now but should reach higher speeds after it's broken in. Maybe 67-69mph/108-111kph.

The 12" wheels aren't as stable as larger 15"-17" ones, but it didn't feel at all unsafe at 64mph. They suck Big Time going over potholes, though. The tread contact patch is too small to bridge any hole longer than about 6"/15cm.

Now, Tundran, being passed by a Road Train on the A1 to Perth or on the Outback Highway Dirt Track would be something I'd rather not experience, thank you very much!

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Grom (with a Beams slip-on and Chimera intake) tops out at about 64mph/103kph on the flats right now but should reach higher speeds after it's broken in. Maybe 67-69mph/108-111kph.

The 12" wheels aren't as stable as larger 15"-17" ones, but it didn't feel at all unsafe at 64mph. They suck Big Time going over potholes, though. The tread contact patch is too small to bridge any hole longer than about 6"/15cm.

Now, Tundran, being passed by a Road Train on the A1 to Perth or on the Outback Highway Dirt Track would be something I'd rather not experience, thank you very much!
Oh H*LL no! I'll tell you what - if I was frequenting roads likes that, as much as I love my little Z, I would not have bought it. Around town with 30% highway it's perfect. Just gotta try and make it a bit easier by drafting behind a semi for extra speed without straining too hard again headwinds :wink2:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would a windshield reduce headwind so you can go marginally faster without needing to ride behind a semi?
Yes, due to less drag created by having your head and torso out of the wind stream. Tucking in behind the screen would make an even greater difference, but that's not comfortable for long stretches...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts