Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z is mostly a DD, but will also be pitched at the track for some minimoto since we just got done pouring the ‘crete.
Since I will be upgrading tires, my research shows a lot of people moving to wider profiles. Considering the stock rim width, what benefits are you finding from a wider profile?
I would think the stock sizes would give adequate contact patch/ lean angle at the lowest tire weight.
Beat me up on it, get techy, spill some knowledge.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Great topic. I'm in the same boat. OEM rear is about shot. Looking to 'upgrade'. I did one 'track day' on the Z and don't think I will be doing more, so I'm just looking for a set of sticky commuters.

Some people say go taller, some say go wider, some say its a Grom and just buy whatever. I don't want to 'lose' any giddyup by installing a heavier tire, but I'm hoping you guys know something I don't.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Great topic. I did one 'track day' on the Z and don't think I will be doing more, so I'm just looking for a set of sticky commuters.
Was this down at DCTC? I started fooling around with AutoX this summer so I've spent some time there and I know they do bike events but I'm not sure what club organizes them.

As far as I understand from my limited reading, go wider if you want more stability, go taller if you want more top speed (at the cost of acceleration).

I suspect you are right that rotational mass matters a lot with single digit HP, but where is the cutoff? Hopefully we get some thoughts from owners/vendors who have experimented.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yup. I was down at DCTC. That track is too big for a Z. I'd get passed on a straight (because who wants to be behind a mini) only to have them drop an anchor in the next corner. I ride there quite a bit with ZARS on my SV650 but Road Closed Promotions is the other (bike) club that rents out that course.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Cool thanks! I miss my SV quite a bit sometimes. I want to get on track someday but the current line up of bikes is less than appealing for track use. Gotta keep saving for a 4th bike I guess.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You need to run these at Kart tracks where the size of the track is closer to what is needed for these bikes. I don't know of any mini racing in that area, but it might still exist.

Sounds like all the kart tracks in the Minneapolis area no longer run bikes... liability issues I guess. Closest kart track for bikes is Wisconsin... and if I'm traveling that far, I'll just go to BlackHawk Farms, Road America or Brainerd International Raceway on the big bike...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Bummer. I remember reading that one of the local prokart tracks does minibike days... but that might have been cut-off at 50cc or discontinued.

Anyway, serious derail, sorry about that. Who's got opinions on alternate tire sizes!?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm running the Pilot Pure 2CT. Best all around tire you can get IMHO. I went 120/70 front which equates to almost the same as the 100/80 just a tick wider. You can do a 130/70 or 140/70 rear. I have both. I think the 130 is a bit more quick to turn in and the 140 is definitely more stable. Performance wise can't tell the difference between the two bikes.

The 130 will get 1mph off on the speedo and the 140 puts the speed right on. The factory was 2mph off. With the dual compound of the 2CT you get the longevity on straight line commuting and the sidewall is super sticky for crazy cornering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts