Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'd like to know what you all are doing to secure your Zs. I park mine in the parking garage at our condominium complex, which has seen quite a bit of theft as of late. Just last night, someone got in and broke into our storage cabinet (and our neighbor's), stole a bicycle, broke a car window and stole a gym bag, and that's just what I'm aware of. We are in the process of installing security cameras, changing locks, etc., but I have to assume that thieves will still be able to somehow gain access. We do have a gate-style garage door, so in theory it's a secure garage, but clearly people have figured out ways to get in (likely sneaking in after a car pulls out).

So, I want to make my Z as difficult to steal as possible. I obviously lock the bars every time I park. But I'm also going to get a disk brake lock. Does anyone know if this one will work?

http://amzn.to/2cqb04W

I'm also thinking of getting this grip/brake lever lock

http://amzn.to/2chfm0C

And I'd like to get a tracking device of some sort. Has anyone tried this one?

http://amzn.to/2d15gQ9

Finally, I'm going to install an eye hook into the concrete wall by our parking spot and run a chain/cable through it and the bike with a lock. I realize that if a thief wants something bad enough, they'll get it, but I'm hoping this will be enough to get them to move on to an easier target. I also have comprehensive coverage on my insurance policy with a $100 deductible that covers theft.

Any other recommendations? Thanks, all!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Recently had my Yam WR250X stolen at the condo complex, then replaced it with the Z. Right away installed an alarm system and a beast chain which is connected with the VFR and Buell. If someone wants any of these, they are going to have to really want them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recently had my Yam WR250X stolen at the condo complex, then replaced it with the Z. Right away installed an alarm system and a beast chain which is connected with the VFR and Buell. If someone wants any of these, they are going to have to really want them.
Which alarm system did you go with? I think I'll get this chain and lock:

http://amzn.to/2cqIbFu

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's definitely a lot of measures to be taken but I can see why you would want to be so secure. We had a thread on some like gun-shot sounding alarms, and even electrified ones.. Those may be a bit too extreme.. ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently had a run in with bike thieves. They managed to bolt cut through the smaller chain I had and stole my moped.

However, my Z has a Xena Disc lock and a Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit 5 ft chain. There are marks from them attempting to bolt cut the chain in the plastic coating. But I'm sure after realizing they couldn't get through it they said "fahgettaboutit, we've already taken one of his vehicles" and then left.

So in short, I recommend kryptonite and a xena alarm. My setup ran me just about $200 overall.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Man... sorry to read you lost your WR Supermoto. What a fun bike. Shame they don't sell 'em anymore. Hope you can find another one to replace it soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's definitely a lot of measures to be taken but I can see why you would want to be so secure. We had a thread on some like gun-shot sounding alarms, and even electrified ones.. Those may be a bit too extreme.. ?
Nothing short of extreme prejudice is too extreme when it comes to dealing with thieves.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recently had a run in with bike thieves. They managed to bolt cut through the smaller chain I had and stole my moped.

However, my Z has a Xena Disc lock and a Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit 5 ft chain. There are marks from them attempting to bolt cut the chain in the plastic coating. But I'm sure after realizing they couldn't get through it they said "fahgettaboutit, we've already taken one of his vehicles" and then left.

So in short, I recommend kryptonite and a xena alarm. My setup ran me just about $200 overall.
Sorry about the loss of your moped. Glad your beefy setup rose to the occasion and kept the Z locked down.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yup, I can attest to this as when I go the track I just pick up the bike myself and put it in the van!
I'm impressed. As much of a featherweight the little Z may be, I'll admit that I couldn't single-handedly hoist it up into the back of the van without the use of a ramp or an extra set of hands.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought a nylon coated cable from harbor freight
15 feet long I think
I cable through all my bikes even in my locked garage

there are also disc brake locks with built in sirens if the bike gets moved
probably a good idea for one outside, along with a chain or some sort of cable through both wheels and frame if possible

most grinders, bolt cutters can cut off locks
its just trying to slow them down to where they will give up and move on

also get the best insurance possible for theft that way at least you can get it replaced easier if it does get stolen

there are also nice floor hooks pretty sure kryptonite sells them
you dig a hole, concrete the hook in
it can be covered with a plate when not in use so doesn't stick up or anything its below surface mount

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 5' chain & lock user.
Locked up in a garage behind a locked fence. Along with two security lights.
It may be overkill, But I sleep better.
The only downside is - It's stupid heavy!!!
Upside is - the sheer size of the links deters average tweekers,scumbags without power tools.>:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts