Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some friends and associates that are so determined to absolutely not like these bikes and I can't understand their broken mentality. The immediate reaction is always:

"It's too small and too slow, you'll grow bored with it."

"Why don't you get a real bike so you can at least move out of the way instead of getting ran over?"

"It's a terrible starter bike because it'll give you false confidence."

...and the list goes on.

My buddy started with a Shadow then moved onto a slightly bigger bike (forget what it was) and now rides a Vulcan. He still thinks of the Zs/Groms as a joke. Always a "bigger is better" idealist it seems.

Another buddy who is 6'1 and probably closer to 260 lbs says they're too small for him. Granted, he could be right and I can't hold feeling uncomfortable against him but he's the same guy who also enjoyed a pocket bike when I had one some 10 years ago and it didn't stop him from breaking it then!

I point them to the endless youtube videos of people having a blast but it doesn't matter, their minds are set in stone it seems. Maybe it's because of the area I'm living in and the people here are possibly just more closed minded than others due to the snow (Indiana). Ultimately I don't care really care but it's discouraging to see so many group rides happening in videos from Florida and California as these bikes are definitely selling quite well that the dozen or so friends I speak with regularly, with the exception of one who actually doesn't hate them, are completely disinterested and slam them.

Are the majority of your friends/family/etc in favor of the Z and Groms or are they against it / neutral?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Parents think I'll kill myself on it... My friends are all looking to get one or other small bikes to mess around on around town. Try to find some facebook pages for Groms, Z's, Mini Bikes in general around your area, there will almost always be group rides and such if you can find the right group.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Everyone I know has the same opinion... too small, too slow, too boring. I've also got a VFR1200 in my garage that I used to commute on. Whenever I get get a 'slow bike' comment, I just say, 'it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then a fast bike slow'. Ergo, when the speed limit is only 30 MPH, it's more fun revving the piss out of a 125 than lugging a 1200.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm 31 years old, have been riding since I was 13 and I weigh about 255 pounds...and I have an absolute blast on my z125. There's always gonna be haters but do what makes you happy! These bikes can bring you back down to the basics of what makes motorcycling fun! I've had more fun on my z than on my bandit 1200 or any other sport bike I've had. I say let the haters hate!

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
I have some friends ......... The immediate reaction is always:

"It's too small and too slow, you'll grow bored with it."

"Why don't you get a real bike so you can at least move out of the way instead of getting ran over?"

"It's a terrible starter bike because it'll give you false confidence."

...and the list goes on.
Some peoples EGO's are to big to have FUN , therefore understand !

Find new friends :D

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm 6-1 and about 250Lbs, I have the Z and a ZRX1200, I don't think I need to prove the the people around me anything and I'm not using the bikes as anything other than fun. I have mates who are ex racers at a national level and they will still steal my Z for fun, one of them normally rides a H2

I think a lot of the problem is people take **** too seriously, it's just a **** bike and it's just **** fun, you aren't racing, and it's not going to affect your penis size

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, for anyone reading, is the Z125 your first bike? and if so, have you moved onto riding or trying other bikes while keeping the Z or have you found an urge or desire to move on to something bigger? everything I've read or seen on YouTube seems to point the other way. Hearing comments that they sell their larger bikes because the Z or Grom is just more fun overall.

I'm not sure if you count mini scooters or dirt bikes as a first bike (used loosely here) but before the Z125, I have only ever owned a 50cc Honda dirt bike when I was a kid that we blew up and one of those CBR replica pocket rockets about 10 years ago... I think that was also a 50cc engine. Which we also blew up.

While I had considered and almost got a Kawasaki Ninja 250 back in 2012, timing and apartment living conditions prevented me from jumping into getting one. Even then, everyone complained that I would get super bored with a 250 and yet here I am.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, for anyone reading, is the Z125 your first bike? and if so, have you moved onto riding or trying other bikes while keeping the Z or have you found an urge or desire to move on to something bigger? everything I've read or seen on YouTube seems to point the other way. Hearing comments that they sell their larger bikes because the Z or Grom is just more fun overall.

I'm not sure if you count mini scooters or dirt bikes as a first bike (used loosely here) but before the Z125, I have only ever owned a 50cc Honda dirt bike when I was a kid that we blew up and one of those CBR replica pocket rockets about 10 years ago... I think that was also a 50cc engine. Which we also blew up.

While I had considered and almost got a Kawasaki Ninja 250 back in 2012, timing and apartment living conditions prevented me from jumping into getting one. Even then, everyone complained that I would get super bored with a 250 and yet here I am.
So I got it as my first street bike and now I also want a larger bike after owning the z125. That being said I would not sell the Z125 to pay for the bigger bike, its staying in my garage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not my first bike I am 270lbs 6,1. I have a few bikes and the z is just so fun. I can't go around a turn at 30 mph on my Tuono and fell like I am going fast it wants to do 90 mph.
It is ego based with your friends and I have seen it with mine. First get them to sit on it and think about it then get them to take it for a ride. bam they will be sold on it to.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So, for anyone reading, is the Z125 your first bike?
I'm an old man and this is my 20th bike. I've owned everything.

I can immediately tell the difference between real motorcyclists and posers by the comments they make. A poser is concerned with image and speed, nothing more. Posers want to wow people by reciting top speeds and horsepower numbers of their literbikes. Then they ride their bike like a scared grandma on the way to park in front of Starbucks.

Real motorcyclists can have fun on anything with two wheels. We select the proper proper bike for the job. Personally, I don't worry about the speed and power of my Z125, because I never take it anywhere that I need to maintain a speed over 50. I pick a different bike in the garage for that. For people who can only have one bike and occasionally need to go 80, the Z125 is the wrong choice.

When I come across a poser, I typically put him in his place fast. "Nice S1000RR. What's your best lap time at Road America?" Either that or they immediately stare at my knee pucks that are ground down to nothing and then try to avoid me out of embarrassment. Lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts