Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Zpro owner (2018 KRT purchased with 1k miles, Two Bros. pipe, and Bazzaz); my first modern mini but longtime rider (50+ years); casually sporty but hardly a knee-scraper (other current bike: 1st-gen 390 Duke).

I can already tell the little Kaw is going to be a lot of fun. But the first thing that needs to be addressed is suspension.

I weigh 120lbs. (5'8"), and although the roads here in the southern Blue Ridge have great shapes, South Carolina doesn't invest much in maintenance, so I'm really getting launched by mid-corner bumps. Most of the suspension threads discuss stiffening the stock setup, though.

Where should I start with appropriate suspension mods? Looking for best bang/$. The only things I've done so far are to make sure the shock preload was on softest setting (it was) and reduce rear tire pressure a couple pounds from spec.

I've seen threads here mentioning Grom-compatible shocks being longer that Z's, but another initial impression is that steering on the Z feels a little slow/vague (all that rearward weight bias), so it ought to benefit from raising the rear a little. Should I broaden the search to include aftermarket Grom shocks?

Also: for whenever tires need replacing -- any thoughts on which tires offer best ride quality?

Thanks in advance,

JLJ
bikes.jpg

·
Vendor
708 Posts
I'd recommend Ohlins both ends, using the lighter of the included spring rates simply to control damping better. As for tires, there's a LOT of great options. The Michelin Pilot Pure is our top selling tire for all-around, non-race casual street use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can't go wrong with Ohlins, quality components. As previously mention Michelin Pilot Pure is a great tire, haven't has them on the Z125 yet but has them on a Vespa 250 and a Zuma 125, nice ride, good handling, and they are one of the lightest tires. They are also easy to mount. I went with Racing Bros shock and fork cartridges just to try something different, I'm on the other end of the scale and need stronger springs, changing the suspension mad a big difference. Head to the Small Bore Event at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL and you'll see more of what's available. First weekend in June.

Best of luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts