Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here and come from a motorcycle background riding motocross and street bikes and recently been looking at the z125 to get me around the horrible traffic in my beach town and find better parking. The question I have is I want to add a surf rack to the bike and haven't seen any pictures of anyone who has one or how I can go about adding one. I did see there are aftermarket racks I can add on to the back of the bike and possibly I can add a surf rack to that metal piece. If any of you guys can help out or know any info please let me know !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks for the help ! And that was the rack I was looking at but just wasn't sure if that metal bracket would attach to the rack !

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
i gave it all a second look and Ya' ... It will hold it all day long /my .02
Example :
The pic below shows me jumping a 3 wheeler 6' high with only 4 -6 mm bolts holding the entire foot-peg assembly on and with my 175lbs butt on them and it never stripped out or broke the bolts, not to mention the foot-peg assembly alone weighed 5 lbs all by itself / ya the 70's
The rack design looks good for where the carrier mount would be.
The mounting bracket under the seat on the frame looks good and strong .
so the weakest link to me looks like the red lines on the rack (pic 2) is what would give up/bend first before anything else . and it wouldn't break off , just bend Is my best guess ;)
and yes' . I have 15 years off-road fabrication experience and 25 years Retired Aerospace Engineering technologist , if that helps with the just my .02 opinion :D

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kaw'ee. I'd like to point out that your weight on foot pegs are directly (or VERY close) on top of the four mounting points of the peg on the case. In this case, the weight will be (assumed) mostly hanging 12-16 inches away from the mounting point. That's a significant difference.

What does the board weigh? I live in michigan and have never seen or held a surfboard! I would imagine as long as it isn't too heavy, it should be fine.

I'm an aerospace Designer myself. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
As i look closer. The weight is going to be riding on one side and substantially further away from the mounting point then i thought. I wonder how much a board weighs....

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
As i look closer. The weight is going to be riding on one side and substantially further away from the mounting point then i thought. I wonder how much a board weighs....
About 6lbs for a short board and up to 12lbs for a long board .
What company you working for ?
I retired from / Senior Aerospace Ketema

·
Registered
875 Posts
I ended up buying the rack and don't care for it. There is enough leverage to flex the entire sub frame. BUT, at least now I have something to zip tie my milk crate to so I can lug my water/lunch with me around at the track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts