Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening yall.

Have a 2017 Z I picked up with lots o' mods performed by the previous owner.

143bbk
V2 head
roller cam?
chimera intake w/KN filter
bazazz zfi
yosh rs2 exhaust

So starts easy and runs well through the RPM range without issue. No bogging or anything unusual there. What it will do is the idle will search. Maybe 1200... then rise up to 2300, then down, then up, etc.

Also, after 3 or 4 miles of cruising speeds (45-55), when I come to a stop, often times the idle will get lower and lower and then die. I can crack the throttle for maybe 15 seconds and then release it and it will go back to the wandering idle I mentioned above.

Tried various tunes, idle screw adustment, etc with no change in symptoms

Just trying to figure out if I need to look at tuning? maps? or if perhaps there is an install error that the PO may have done.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Do you have the new ECU done in the recall? Fixes a stalling problem, though with your mods list it's hard to say if that would help you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Surging at idle

Z125rider just had the hunting problem . He'll see this thread soon i'd bet and maybe he can help you out some more or theres some good suggestions there on the thread
Link / http://www.z125owners.com/forum/exhaust-systems/11441-exhaust-getting-red-hot-2.html

Yeah, I had the same issue you are having. I just had the recall ecu replaced, and I had installed exhaust, intake, and bazzaz as well. Turns out two things were wrong with my bike....the bazzaz 02 bypass pigtail was wired from the factory incorrectly, which the dealer fixed after working with bazzaz, but he said it was still idling high. He struggled to find what was causing that and ended up replacing the throttle body which resolved the high idle.

Hope this helps. I had purchased the bike new as well as all the aftermarket parts, I have no clue what burned out my throttle body but maybe it had something to do with the bazzaz 02 being incorrectly wired from the bazzaz folks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So my dealer just handed me the new ECU and said I can do it myself if I want. I watched a youtube video though where a dealer says they have to reset some setting? Is it a simple un-plug the old one and plug in the new one and good to ride? I only have a yoshi pipe and that's it. Can anyone share some knowledge here. Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What I found on my bike and my sons bike is that with a fully open exhaust the engine will hunt and cut out.
If you use a DB killer it idles great but you lose a bit of power.
Anyhow our bikes run the best without DB killers except for crap idle and we are running 143 kits so I decided to experiment
As I found when the engine is cold it would idle normal until the engine worms up a bit.
I tried adding more fuel with the Bazzaz but I just couldn't find the sweet spot so I thought I'm going to trick the ecu into
Thinking that the engine is still cold by moving the heat sensor from the head to a different location as seen in the pic.
Guess what? Bikes are running fantastic use a bit more fuel but what a difference :laugh:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Awesome idea about moving the heat sensor. You should check you plug color after a few hard rides to make sure it all looks well and isn't running too rich.

Note for all: When replacing the ECU, this bike doesn't need a specific idle run time to reset the TPS like some bikes do. Just pop in the new recalled ECU and go. The ECU will learn a little over some time of riding however.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome idea about moving the heat sensor. You should check you plug color after a few hard rides to make sure it all looks well and isn't running too rich.

Note for all: When replacing the ECU, this bike doesn't need a specific idle run time to reset the TPS like some bikes do. Just pop in the new recalled ECU and go. The ECU will learn a little over some time of riding however.
Thanks. This is the answer I was looking for. I saw some youtube video where this guy walks in a kawi dealer and asked if he can do the ecu recall install himself and the dealer states that they need to do it because there things on the bike that need to be reset and tested?? So this made me hesitant to do the install myself if it's not just plug and play since I am not too knowledgeable about these bikes yet and if some sort of tuning or other types of resets had to be done in the bike that the typical owner would not know about or have Info one what Kawasaki is wanting from the recall?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Wish my dealer would do that. The dealer said he needs the bike in his shop before he can order the parts. I tried calling bull and stated he should only need the VIN to order the parts... but his response was essentially, if I can find another dealer that will do the recall, take it there. Didn't really seem like he cared if he got my (or Kawasaki's) money...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks. This is the answer I was looking for. I saw some youtube video where this guy walks in a kawi dealer and asked if he can do the ecu recall install himself and the dealer states that they need to do it because there things on the bike that need to be reset and tested?? So this made me hesitant to do the install myself if it's not just plug and play since I am not too knowledgeable about these bikes yet and if some sort of tuning or other types of resets had to be done in the bike that the typical owner would not know about or have Info one what Kawasaki is wanting from the recall?
When I picked up my ECU (lucky enough this dealer allowed for me to install) The guy at the desk was reading through some document which looked like an install TSB or something. I specifically asked for TPS reset routines because that is super common with bikes. He said nope, just pop it in and go, allow for a couple of rides to relearn.

BTW there was no turn ignition on / turn ignition off sequence. I had my ECU in and was riding the bike hard within 3 minutes.

I suspect some dealers want their shops to do the install because they are low on work and want to give their guys something to do. Installing an ECU is so simple anyone can do it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought I better mention that I'm still running the stock ECU.
I've been waiting a couple of months now for the new ecu and still no word on it's arrival to Australia.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
I specifically asked for TPS reset routines because that is super common with bikes. He said nope, just pop it in and go, allow for a couple of rides to relearn.

BTW there was no turn ignition on / turn ignition off sequence.
Actually there is sequence in the Manuel / page 156
But The ECU is so simple it is something your probably going to do before you ride it anyways so dosen't get noticed ?
Its also the same sequence at the end of when throttle body is replaced

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad I ran across this. With all my mods I've been struggling with the same issue. Ill be looking online my sense today now. Thanks for the idea!

But with the recall thing. It's super simple uplug old, plug in new. Turn key on for 5 seconds, turn key off for 5 seconds, turn key on. Go ride. But Kawasaki dealership tell people they have to install any and all recall parts (as they should and are supposed to) because of liability reasons. The shop where I work would never think about handing a customer a recall to do themselves (although this only is stupid simple) simply bc it puts us and Kawasaki at risk if anything where to malfunction or go wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts