Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried taking out my starter motor assembly and stripped one of the 3 screws that hold the starter motor assembly in place.

They're tight to about 80lb-ft (my best guess)

How can i take it off without destroying the bolt head and leaving a rod in the manifold?

Please post here if you think you have a comment I will upload pics

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
Philips Impact driver if theres any bite at all left

Hammer a socket on the outside of the head of it using one just slightly smaller than the head size and needs to swallow complete head :rolleyes:
use one you took out to figure best size
Thinking (9mm) or (11/32")

VIDEO
As deep reach as they are, the you can use a sharp chisel to create the straight slot instead of a cutoff wheel, Slot the best location with the most backup material left
Then long straight end impact bit (or extension)

Easy-out extractors are last resort and PITA, especially as inset as the starter is to get to.

If nothing works, looks like it can be drilled out (no threads) from the left side of the bike and use a regular through bolt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im not sure if the easyout /grabit will work because it has about 70-80lbft of torque down on the bolt.

I fear that the top head is going to snap but I plan on using a chisel hammer first

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah im not sure if the easyout /grabit will work because it has about 70-80lbft of torque down on the bolt.

I fear that the top head is going to snap but I plan on using a chisel hammer first
You didn't mention why you are removing it, so I will guess the starter motor is being replaced? Is it bad or ??
If you lose the screw head don't worry too much since you should be able to remove the remainder with Vise Grips once the motor is removed. That is, if you can get enough room in there to grab it and turn it.

However, 2 remaining 6mm screws / bolts will hold the motor in place if you can't remove it. The small motor itself doesn't develop much torque, it's all the reduction gears that do, so 2 fasteners will keep it secure. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts