Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going everyone hope everyone is well it is looking like it is time to store the Z for the winter and get ready to add some parts to it over the winter

My question is what does everyone do to the bike for example battery and fuel or anything else you find useful I am going to be putting it in a unheated detached garage where I keep it now also

Thanks hope everyone is safe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is kept (under a cover) in an open carport where temperatures can get as low as -30C. I remove the battery and hook it up to a Battery Tender in my basement. I make sure the gas tank is full (but don't add any stabilizer). I also try to lube the chain to prevent it rusting over the winter. That's about it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If my race tires are still good, I take them off and put them in the basement. Fill the tank and just a tiny bit of Stabil and that's pretty much about it.

The battery stays in but stays connected to a tender. My garage is unheated but connected to the house so it's not too bad.

The tender I use is a 1.5 amp Schumacher. It's a pretty good maintainer with float mode monitoring. Works great through the winter cold, been using these for a decade.

·
Super Moderator
312 Posts
Metal tanks = add stabilizer and fill to the top. (exposed to air equals rusty)
+1 on battery tender.

Stupid idiots that live in climates that get to -45 at least once a year are good at winterizing. Many people say many different things. People will believe what they want to believe. My first two lines work up to (or minus to?) at least -45 for the last 30+ years.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Don't listen to ^^ guys. Leave the tank empty, 1x a week, pour a few cups of gas in the tank, start the bike and cold rev the piss out of the motor to burn off that winter carbon buildup. Keep doing this until the fuel tank is dry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
...and cold rev the piss out of the motor to burn off that winter carbon buildup.
Seriously? I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "cold revving the piss out of a motor," isn't a good thing and how are you going to get "winter carbon buildup" if the bike isn't started in the winter.

I feel sorry for any vehicle you own.

·
Super Moderator
312 Posts
Seriously? I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "cold revving the piss out of a motor," isn't a good thing and how are you going to get "winter carbon buildup" if the bike isn't started in the winter.

I feel sorry for any vehicle you own.
Hook, line and sinker. I got a good chuckle out of this.
He's messing with you @MileHayabusa :LOL:

·
Registered
579 Posts
You guys see that Fortnine thing about fuel stabilizers? I don't have the link, blocked from YouTube at work. Not sure if I buy into what he's saying.

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
You guys see that Fortnine thing about fuel stabilizers? I don't have the link, blocked from YouTube at work. Not sure if I buy into what he's saying.
Yeah... it's got me thinking... I completely missed my first chance to winterize vehicles when we got mid October snow that actually stuck around. But now we have record breaking high temps so I'm enjoying my last bit of the bikes.

The TL;DR of the FortNine video is that stabilizer is primarily useful to counteract water build up in the bottom of your tank so you don't break stuff when you try to start in the spring. Their final conclusion is that if you can get pure non-oxy gas, don't bother with any stabilizers. (Backs up JayG's routine) The trade off with stabilizers that allow your bike to struggle through watery gas in the spring is that they can actually increase corrosion. The primary culprit for corrosion was Seafoam (my stabilizer of choice... yikes).

I haven't found the video yet but the comment section mentioned that Project Farm did roughly the same test and came out with the opposite results.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I can't see how Seafoam would cause corrosion. I generally don't watch his stuff, just doesn't seem right to me.

No alcohol fuel certainly does help though, if you can get it.

Might want to spray DeepCreep the forks too, and you can spray some of it in through the spark plug hole to help prevent rust rings inside. Deep Creep | Penetrating Oil & Spray Lubricant for Shop & Household

Or your cylinder fogger of choice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fresh tank of gas (preferrably non-ethanol such as rec 90), and dose with Sta-bil. Wash up the bike. Fog the cylinder, pull the battery, pump up the tires, lube the chain, and throw a loose cover on it.
Seize the handful of warm enough days you CAN ride during the winter anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Winter? What is that? In San Antonio, TX that part of the year you guys are referring to means we got down to 55 degrees Fahrenheit. That being said, I haven't built a snowman in years.
Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Full tank with the battery in. It stays in my garage which is unheated. I might move it to the shed but I'm leaving the battery in. While it's in the shed it will not be started during the cold days. I plan on going out on any warm days and starting it just to recharge the battery a bit. I have a 2015 Suzuki 4 wheeler and the battery has never been out of it. Hot or cold, it has started every time. This will be a test of the Kawasaki battery.
kwg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts