Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My starter sounds like ****. Has anyone else noticed there starter just sounding like a piece of crap? I know if I take it to my dealer there just gonna say we'll that sounds normal. It's sounded fine when new, 700 miles later it's quite noisy

Registered
starter should be pretty quiet
if you think its loud bring it in

better yet see if they have another z125 you can compare it too

im sure some of us here can make a quick video and we can compare them all if you can make one

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
starter should be pretty quiet
if you think its loud bring it in

better yet see if they have another z125 you can compare it too

im sure some of us here can make a quick video and we can compare them all if you can make one

Just gotta figure out how to post a video lol

Registered
you could also unplug the spark plug wire to get a video of how it sounds
that way the bike won't start and we can hear it better

Registered
gut guess

something on the starter has a lot of friction
if its a bushing, it needs oil big time

I've worked on a lot of small motors like on fans, where they start screaming like that
one tiny drop of oil on the bushing they run silent for a while

that sound is bad, and not normal

I would take it in since you have a warranty
either something is binding somewhere, which is very bad

or the starter, or if it has a one way starter clutch is going bad

I would hate for anything to seize up and ruin the engine
or worse cause a crash

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Dropped it off today. Tech is pretty positive the starter clutch has failed just based off of its sound. Ill know for sure tomorrow. Only has about 50 starts on it wtf is up with that?!

Registered
Strange how it whines when it is turned off also, any bike techs on here with some input?

Good videos you made. They make it possible for others to make a better guess. I think it sounds like the starter gears & pins are a bit dry and need some lube. They are still briefly spinning after the button is released, that's why you still hear the noise. Just take it apart, lube it all up and recheck it. Have you changed your oil yet? Fresh oil will help make everything inside the engine run smoother and quieter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Good videos you made. They make it possible for others to make a better guess. I think it sounds like the starter gears & pins are a bit dry and need some lube. They are still briefly spinning after the button is released, that's why you still hear the noise. Just take it apart, lube it all up and recheck it. Have you changed your oil yet? Fresh oil will help make everything inside the engine run smoother and quieter.
Just needed to lube the gear pivots with some moly grease. She sounds good now. Might a regular maintenance thing every time your in the side case it sounds like

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
i have the same problem too, so what did dealer do to fix it? just grease the gear pivots?
Yes that's all they did. Noise has gone away. Didn't cost me a dime and you get a free oil change out of it. You can ride it as is and it won't hurt anything but I'd have it greased up when it comes due for fresh oil

Registered
Yes that's all they did. Noise has gone away. Didn't cost me a dime and you get a free oil change out of it. You can ride it as is and it won't hurt anything but I'd have it greased up when it comes due for fresh oil
probably smart to remember how many starts you do so if it happens again you can complain maybe get it replaced

50 starts is nothing with it happening so soon

so hopefully after 100 or more if it never comes back then could of just been factory assembly error

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Starter noise has returned 4-5 starts since the dealers "repair". They keep trying to lube things and fix the **** thing, I'm pretty sure it needs a whole NEW starter. Dealers giving me the run around

Does anyone have this noise issue? It's also getting pretty hard to start at least 4-5 pushes of the button for it to start and that's even with the throttle twisted a little

Getting sick of the dealers BS does anyone have a spare starter for sale??? :p

Video link bellow

https://youtu.be/FgbaAKd1u7E

Registered
Just watched your new video then the original video and they sound very similar. If lubing the gears made the noise go away for a while it's odd that it's the same parts inside making noise again so soon. Has your oil been changed yet? Fresh oil wouldn't let the gears run so dry and noisy so it could be the starter motor now. It's fairly easy to pull it out and connect to a battery and see how noisy it is in your hand. It sucks that your dealer didn't fix it right the first time, but if the noise went away for them, they thought they were done with it. You need to let them know it's back and it now needs to be fixed, permanently. It will be covered under warranty again so take it back to them or a different dealer, if possible. I wouldn't buy a starter unless you have no other option. Mines never been that noisy and I don't think I've heard another like yours. I feel sorry for you, dude.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts