Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to do any real disassembly work yet. But I've startex prepping parts. I began with the V2 head the other night.

I ported and polished the ports. There was LOTS of casting flash, some evident core shift as well as some porosity in the casting. There were also some nasty transitions into the valve seats.So far I've cleaned up all flash/parting lines, opened up the bowls slightly as well as raising the port roofs slightly. Blended and radiused the backs of the valve seats and I opened up and smoothed the area around valve guides as well as getting rid of the valve guide web.

This pic shows both ports mirror polished, but last night I put a 600 grit texture in the intake side.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Squeaky, would you please film the 178 build process and post on YT?? Idiots like me rely on these videos to view and repeat. Thanks man!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are those seats really deep in the head? Looks like they are 1/16 to 1/8 below the surface.

Polish the exhaust, dimple the intake. If not going to dimple, 80 grit roughens it enough to try and prevent some of the surface wetting.
They are pretty deep. Just over 1/16. I've already radiused and polished the recesses. As far as the intake goes, I've done a rough 600 grit finish. I don't think an 80 grit is warranted here. But it was in the intake manifold. I don't have any pictures, but I opened up the injector trough and ran 80 grit points in the area downstream from the injector.

Headwork is as far as I've been able to get... I haven't had the time to even look at it in the last few weeks .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Squeaky, would you please film the 178 build process and post on YT?? Idiots like me rely on these videos to view and repeat. Thanks man!!
I'll try, not making any promises. I might just vlog the case boring and parts of the assembly.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I might take a burr and unshroud those valves a little more, at least in a few areas to maximize the open time. Just seems like you are effectively losing a bunch of lift while those valves are shrouded. I'd probably want a circle with a spacing double the depth, so like an extra 1/8 inch around the valves. All that you are really doing is increasing the size of the combustion chamber by removing that material, should be fine adding half a cc or maybe full cc of volume.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to do that, but the outer edges of the seat pockets run right to the edge of the quench area. So I settled on a bevel and radius to try and keep things symmetrical.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The intake valve pocket also runs right up to the edge of the gasket surface. I'd like to keep as much meat there as possible to keep from scorching the edge of the gasket and possibly blowing it out

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ported my head yesterday. Came out real nice. I began breaking down the motor and bagging everything. I’m basically at the part where I need to split the case but need to see if I need a puller or what. I don’t want to mark up that cases. Then I can pull the crank and put the block back together for so I can get the case bored.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts