Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with sprocket changes? I want the higher end power for longer straights and cruising. Will a smaller rear sprocket truly make the take offs noticeably slower? What would you guys suggest i do if i want higher end but not sacrifice the low end as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone had experience with sprocket changes? I want the higher end power for longer straights and cruising. Will a smaller rear sprocket truly make the take offs noticeably slower? What would you guys suggest i do if i want higher end but not sacrifice the low end as well.
Put a 15 tooth on the front. Perfect for cruising and will still do wheelies. Kawasaki klx110 front sprockets are the same when searching. Should be able to find one for $15 or less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So will top end speed be altered at all? I was yold it would run slower top speed like around 50-55mph

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just remember that Capt Dagner is not the heaviest looking of folks and he lives in FL where it is slightly uhhhh, flat.... lol....

If you tend to weigh almost as much as the Z and live where there is a hill or two you might not like the 15 front as it just won't pull it to redline in top gear in stock form. Well, according to some other folks on here. For the cost of the mod it is a cheap experiment so I would still say go for it. YMMV....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i have had it on thr 15t sprocket about a week. Will NOT hang with my buddies who have the stock 14t. Off the start and long run. Wont hang. Still pop wheelies easy, and not bad to ride with. I personally will be going back to the 14

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am hoping that with a 143 kit it will pull a 15 without any problems with my lard butt onboard. Plan on installing that maybe this fall. We shall see....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well i have had it on thr 15t sprocket about a week. Will NOT hang with my buddies who have the stock 14t. Off the start and long run. Wont hang. Still pop wheelies easy, and not bad to ride with. I personally will be going back to the 14
I don't wheelie but this has been more or less my experience as well.
I recently had my shop install a 15T in the front, and for the first few rides I felt it was quite good, gentle on starts and particularly 3rd gear was much more usable in moderate flowing city traffic.

I finally had a chance to take it on a road with an 80 km/h limit, and found the engine doesn't have enough torque to pull the taller gear. I could only hit an indicated 82 km/h or so, only a little more with an uncomfortable tuck. Maybe a big bore kit would work well with the 15T but I am not keen on going down that route.

Today I took my wife's Z out on the same road, stock 14T I could get indicated 90/91 km/h, 95/96 tucked. But it's fast enough even sitting straight up. I am fairly certain it's not about speedometer corrections either, the stock sprocket feels noticeably faster.

(I like to think that) I am not that heavy, around 145 lbs on a bad day, but I will also be going back to 14T.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just installed 28t on mine. I can say that from first to third the increase in speed was very noticeable and it's a lot smoother. I did not feel any decrease in torque.

However, when I shift to fourth, it takes a while to get up to speed especially if it's windy. This is the biggest thing I noticed. I will be on 57 mph and I can feel the bike is gradually getting faster but it takes a while.

My top speed was increased to 64 mph. I have chimera intake and eBay exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts