Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after all my winter mods, I’ve had a few spring rides (weather has not been all that great here in NE PA), and I noticed noisy and weak front brakes. Over the last 150 miles or so, the front has made a noticeable squeal under hard breaking, without the ‘bite’ I’m accustomed to with this setup. I use a Brembo caliper, Brembo sintered pads, Galfer rotor, and Core Moto steel braid lines and I never use more than 1 finger while braking with this setup.

So I checked the rotor and it’s quite grooved, both front and back, a lot more than I would expect for my light bike (200 lbs) and light wheels. I’m not huge myself, weighing 160. Maybe you can see the grooving in the pix, and it’s deeper on the inside of the rotor, on both sides. Seems to me to be worse on the bottom and top edges of the hole pattern. OK, so I might be guilty of hard braking during some sporty backroad rides, but the pads and rotor only lasted 1700 miles.

Any experience or thoughts on the wear I should expect from components like these? And yes, since I did like the performance while it lasted, I went with the same Brembo sintered pads and Galfer rotor parts as replacements.

Also included a couple photos of my front-end lift - couple of good ratchet straps. Works well for the front of small bikes like this if you are careful, especially when lowering it...

JW

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Grooving is noticeable but doesn't look that bad overall. Are the rotors worth getting resurfaced or just planning on tossing them?

As an aside is your center tank shroud actually CF or just wrapped? Looks mean. There's so much carbon on your bike, it's glorious.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grooving is noticeable but doesn't look that bad overall. Are the rotors worth getting resurfaced or just planning on tossing them?

As an aside is your center tank shroud actually CF or just wrapped? Looks mean. There's so much carbon on your bike, it's glorious.
They’re surprisingly deep, my fingernails go in well. The pix don’t show them as they are. Since they are fairly deep on both sides, and the rotors are already small and thin, I am not going to turn them down. Since I do use the front hard, I would not want to possibly incur any warping.

The tank shroud is the only piece that is wrapped. It was the last piece I bought on eBay from a place in Thailand, but when it arrived I was not happy with the quality. Too many rough spots and one gouge to put on when the other pieces looked so good. But then about a month later, another piece arrived from the same place with no explanation! Likely a mistake, but in my favor, as if they read my mind. This one looks good, and polished up well with car wax. I do love the look of good carbon fiber on motorcycles, even our size of them... :grin2:

JW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts