Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been searching for a z125 pro for a bit now and I found one that has 6000 miles on it. I know that is a lot but will it last. What problems have you guys had around this mileage area?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I’ve been searching for a z125 pro for a bit now and I found one that has 6000 miles on it. I know that is a lot but will it last. What problems have you guys had around this mileage area?
I have a buddy who bought one with 9000 miles on it because it was cheap($1000) and it was getting tired. He didn't want to spend a lot of money on a big bore kit since it was mainly going to be a commuter, so I gave him a used stock top end to freshen it up. He rode it for a year like that until he wanted a 143cc upgrade. Finally, after another year and 12,000 total miles we went completely through it and replaced the crank, clutch, etc and installed a 173cc bigbore. The original parts were loose, but still serviceable. These are tough little engines with very few issues.

So if that bike with 6000 miles has been well taken care of(it looks clean, had regular oil changes, etc), I wouldn't consider it high mileage. Remember these bikes were designed as daily drivers for use in Asian cities that are clogged with traffic and they are expected to give years of service with minimal maintenance. In North America they don't see nearly the amount of miles they would in Asia. If the price is right, go for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I’m I also have a low budget. Hopefully this bike will be well taken care of when I talk to the owner and possibly test ride it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Depends on where you're located and how much it is moreover than anything else but yeah, it should easily last you for quite a long time if properly taken care of. I ride the piss out of mine from new and 5k miles later is still A-OK. I may be optimistic but I'm expecting to get at least 25k miles from this thing. Someone prove me right with their super high-mileage Z! =)

·
Registered
11 Posts
6000 miles isnt a lot. But make sure your getting a deal then factor that in your buying decisions because new ones can be had around 2700 ++. For 1500 or less it makes sense .Any more than1500 I would buy new.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's a Kawasaki. It will be fine. If it was a Suzuki you would be totally f#@Ked.

In all seriousness, ebay upgrades and poor maintenance are worse than km's. I'd buy one of these with 100 000 miles and not worry about it if it looked mostly original and hadn't been abused.

·
Registered
738 Posts
  1. Look at the chain. Does it look clean and properly adjusted?
  2. Is the bike littered with eBay accessories?
  3. If meeting at someones garage, is it organized or a mess? This gives you a pretty good idea the kind of person that owned the bike before you.
  4. How well are their other vehicles maintained? People will likely maintain their bikes like they maintain their cars.
With all that said, 6k miles isn't a lot. But if it's beat to piss and not maintained, I'd pass. Nothing more frusting that dealing with someone else's shortcuts to save a couple bucks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've littered my bike with eBay accessories lol my garage is a wreck because we always have too much **** and my beater of a car is beyond neglected but I absolutely have babied the Z! =D Then again, I'm not selling either haha....

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've littered my bike with eBay accessories lol my garage is a wreck because we always have too much **** and my beater of a car is beyond neglected but I absolutely have babied the Z! =D Then again, I'm not selling either haha....
What does your chain look like? That says a lot about the bikes maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
270 Posts
By riding the piss out of it I don't mean I've abused/neglected the bike (no stunting, off-roading, etc.) hell I can't even wheelie it lol but do consider putting 5k miles on it in less than 2 years riding the piss out of it. Seeing so many 2010 Ninja 250s with barely 2000-3000 miles on them for example is the only real reference I have for putting it into perspective like that, those are what I had originally considered before getting the Z.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Oh for sure you put way more miles on your Z than most "starter" bikes, I'm just giving you a hard time because I can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts