Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have about 280 miles on the Z. I have noticed every now and then, I will have trouble downshifting from 4th gear. I will engage the clutch and press down on the shift lever. I can feel the shift lever go down but it did not actually shift down. I will then have to press down 6 or 7 more times before the shifting actually engages.

I am trying to follow the manual's break in advice (go under 4K RPM), giving me a top speed of 29MPH in 4th position. In the instances that I have had trouble, I was going about this speed.

I have taken the bike to the dealer but they only checked the outside and said there is nothing wrong with the bike. They said if I am going 29MPH, the bike is going to have trouble down shifting and that this is normal.

I don't buy that at all and was wondering if anyone here would have insight into the problem.

Registered
I have no problem down shifting at any speed. But if I'm completely stopped (like at a light) and I'm I neutral I have a hard time for it to go into first. Like you said I can feel the lever going down. But no gear change.

I have to roll the bike forward or backward while pressing down on the shifter. Kinda silly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I have no problem down shifting at any speed. But if I'm completely stopped (like at a light) and I'm I neutral I have a hard time for it to go into first. Like you said I can feel the lever going down. But no gear change.

I have to roll the bike forward or backward while pressing down on the shifter. Kinda silly.
I have not had any issues going from neutral to first. There was a time where the neutral light showed it was engaged but it was actually still in first and I stalled at a traffic light.:frown2:Has only happened once though.

Registered
All new bikes will have some "teething" issues as they get going and start to break in. Remember the lil bike has a wet clutch and the oil can be a factor. Not saying it is. Have you changed the factory oil in the miles that you've had it? Is there a little bit of play in your clutch lever such that when you pull it in it travels, say, 1/4" before it begins to grab and engage?

Registered
All new bikes will have some "teething" issues as they get going and start to break in. Remember the lil bike has a wet clutch and the oil can be a factor. Not saying it is. Have you changed the factory oil in the miles that you've had it? Is there a little bit of play in your clutch lever such that when you pull it in it travels, say, 1/4" before it begins to grab and engage?
I'd say mine has like a 1/2" of travel before it engages. I'll look into to the oil when I do my first oil chang . Thanks!

Registered
If you are just dabbing at the gear lever, try leaving pressure on the pedal for a short while and let the clutch out in between downshifts while still having pressure on the gear pedal. Its all a matter of timing, but this technique allows the gear dogs to engage fully.

Registered
About 350 miles here. No probs downshifting, but sometimes won't go into 4th on first try. Hopefully just an adjustment maybe?

Registered
I've had the won't go into 4th a few times. But I'm fiddling with the clutch cable to see if I can get it right.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will have to make those tweaks once I get it back from the dealership.

I have a 2008 Kawasaki Versys and it has never had these kinds of issues in the year I have had it.

Registered
Mike was a bit finicky about shifting in the first 500 or so miles. Idk if it was breakin or what, but it's gotten much smoother now. (I'm at nearly 1500) she's running quite nicely.

Registered
Though I'm a tinker addict and I'm constantly checking and adjusting my clutch/throttle cables. Well maybe not constantly, but it gives me a reason to get out of the wife's hair...

Registered
I just did my first "get out into town" run. About 6 miles on the county roads. So the bike, has, let's say, 10 miles on it. And absolutely no problems. Again, make sure your clutch lever is adjusted correctly. You want, maybe (what I have) 1/4" of travel until engagement begins.

Registered
I just did my first "get out into town" run. About 6 miles on the county roads. So the bike, has, let's say, 10 miles on it. And absolutely no problems. Again, make sure your clutch lever is adjusted correctly. You want, maybe (what I have) 1/4" of travel until engagement begins.
Did you keep the revs under 4K as pg. 67 of the owner's manual recommends during the first 500 miles of the initial break-in period?

Registered
Mine has the issue going from neutral to first at red lights. If I roll the bike back and forth is will usually engage to first. Also if I sit at a red light for a few minutes the engine will stop. Hoping it's just the break in stuff.

Registered
Mine has the issue going from neutral to first at red lights. If I roll the bike back and forth is will usually engage to first. Also if I sit at a red light for a few minutes the engine will stop. Hoping it's just the break in stuff.
I had the same clutch issue. Adjust the clutch and it should go away.

I've only had mine die 2 times at a light. Other than that it has not died in a while.

This often happens when there is too much flex in the Shift Shaft.

It happens on a lot of bikes that have the shift shaft sticking way out from the motor.
The farther it sticks out, the more deflection you get. The less smooth the transmission shifts are.
Also the shift linkage for the Z is crap. Instead of using traditional heim joints, they use a bent metal rod.

Same thing happens on the Honda Grom.
We are finishing up a Shift Support bracket for the Z125, which should help reduce this mis-shifts and false neutrals.

Similar to this.

Reactions: Lol Reptar

Registered
I'd say mine has like a 1/2" of travel before it engages. I'll look into to the oil when I do my first oil chang . Thanks!
Adjust the clutch! Issues should go away! Good luck. That's way too much clutch lever travel.

When I was researching and reading before buying the lil Z one of the comments I saw more than once was that the clutch did not hit it's friction point until it was almost all the way out. I have to say that has held true with my Z125. There is not a lot of "play/slack" in the clutch. It just has to be about open before hitting the friction point. I would say 3/4 open before friction point. I am used to bigger bikes being a 1/4 to 1/2 open at most. Thoughts, comments, others experiences with your Z125 clutch friction point?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts