Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Z' shifting issue is mostly from lazy shifting and more of the bikes fault than the rider, even when most will feel their clicking it in good enough. And it has a longer throw than most other bikes so make a overkill effort during shifting before judging if it has a real issue.

The ergonomics of the peg to shifter at the stock position are more of the problem.
The ERGO fix is to remove the shiftier and re-clock it up or down one spline for better/firmer engagement
Adjust it depending which way is most of your shifting issue
Upshifting - clock it down 1 spline
Downshifting - clock it up 1 spline

Other options are aftermarket rearsets, different foot pegs or the do the hyme joint linkage mod (below) so you can set everything exactly where it needs to be for your natural riding position and best foot ergonomics

A full synthetic oil seems to help the shifting and most say there shifting issues all but went away after switching.

Even a slightly loose engine mount bolt is being reported as effecting shifting as well.
Tighten the rear/lower bolt under the swingarm even if it looks tight
Good chance you have a lot of vibration above 6000rpm if its loose

Check chain slack. if you have the stock chain it needs tighten every 300 miles almost.

Check clutch lever adjustment for 1/8" free play slack

Hyme joint linkage mod
https://www.z125owners.com/forum/wha...t-shifter.html

BOTTOM ENGINE BOLT.JPG CHAIN.JPG CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT.JPG

The right side clutch cover should be removed if still having issues
Have seen the gear tension screw back completely out, and quite a few shifting linkage issues
Check pictures for areas of concern

SHIFTING ISSUE 2.png

8 easy checks before splitting the cases ;)

Reactions: Azlar49

·
Registered
222 Posts
Those cracks are not giving me confidence in the long term quality of this bike. Did this happen with yours @Kaw'ee ?

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but I can think of 4 right of the top of my head that have had linkage issues and where i get these pic's
And all were from lay-over impact or pressure on the shifter even just while working on the bike
Any pressure at all on the shifter transfers through to the clutch side and bends the linkage (pics 1 & 2). I believe pic 2 was just that, from him laying the bike over to do the HD clutch mod.
I myself will not use the 1 piece shifters for that reason. If i was riding street only i would.
Stock set up will help on a impact side load and just the toe shift lever takes the load, or bends
But will not help on a up/down (shifting) impact load, Pic 3 or also can bend the linkage

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
Those cracks are not giving me confidence in the long term quality of this bike. Did this happen with yours @Kaw'ee ?
On my 08 ZX10 I had it happen in the exact same spot. PN was updated in 09 but it took me a long time to figure out what the deal was. I've noticed a few times on other Kawi's that the weld to put the stamped flat piece on to the shaft looks like it get's way too hot during manufacturing. It's all kinds of blue and purple around there which leads me to believe it's a tempering issue.

This is the first I've heard about it on the Z, but it would appear that this is something Kawasaki has not worked out yet across multiple platforms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts