Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues with the bike not wanting to up shift occasionally? I had the same issue with my 2017 and I have 668 miles on my 2018 now and it just started within the last 100 miles. Basically as I'm accelerating, I pull the clutch in and click up on the shift lever and it will stay in the same gear until you click up another time or two. It's occasional but still pretty sketchy, especially in 45-55mph traffic.

·
Registered
584 Posts
A few things are known to help with that.

1. Tighten up your frame bolts. They are often loose, particularly the rear bottom, and it's somehow related to shifting feel.

2. Get a G-Craft shift shaft bracket. Helps keep the long cantilevered shift shaft from flexing, which can keep the transmision from going to the next gear.

3. Update the crappy OEM shift linkage with something using proper bearing eyes. This is a DIY solution that no vendors have addressed yet.

4. If you have big feet, move the shift lever up so you aren't pre-loading it with your foot. Seems like I have this problem with every bike, and I can't get shifting to feel good until it's addressed.

5. Be sure the clutch free play is properly adjusted. This is likely NOT the issue, but in some cases it could be.

All of these are discussed around here if you dig a little.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
A few things are known to help with that.

3. Update the crappy OEM shift linkage with something using proper bearing eyes. This is a DIY solution that no vendors have addressed yet.
WOW... I have not looked under those boots yet :nerd: ..
Thats like lawnmower design linkage right there ! . After checking into it more, it looked like the pivot point was at 45 deg' angle to shift shaft at full up shift, so was thinking it was going past the mechanical advantage point , but checked out to be around 28 deg' (and starts at 14 deg' ) but still going to re-set it to 90 deg' at start of shift to help try to decrease the excessive long throw of 1 1/2" counting in the flex factor .(my other bike is 1") so could also be why I myself am missing shifts also ...
Thanks Zaph
Hyme Joints on order ..I have all-thread on hand :D

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
WOW... I have not looked under those boots yet :nerd: ..
Thats like lawnmower design linkage right there ! . After checking into it more, it looked like the pivot point was at 45 deg' angle to shift shaft at full up shift, so was thinking it was going past the mechanical advantage point , but checked out to be around 28 deg' (and starts at 14 deg' ) but still going to re-set it to 90 deg' at start of shift to help try to decrease the excessive long throw of 1 1/2" counting in the flex factor .(my other bike is 1") so could also be why I myself am missing shifts also ...
Thanks Zaph
Hyme Joints on order ..I have all-thread on hand :D
Where did you order the joints from?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm working up a parts list from Mcmaster.com myself right now. They have a very good selection of small bearing eyes in stainless. I'll post up a parts list if I come up with something. If there's a problem, it's that the OEM linkage is so close to the shift arm. 2.8" inches. And if someone needs the shift lever much higher due to a big foot, that distance needs to be .25" shorter.

I took key dimensions today to work out what I need.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Aluminum Unthreaded Spacer
10 mm OD, 12 mm Long, for M5 Screw Size

Corrosion-Resistant Ball Joint Rod End
1/4"-28 Internal Thread

18-8 Stainless Steel Threaded Rod
1/4"-28 Thread Size, 1-1/4" Long

All from Mcmaster.com. I went with 1/4-28 rod ends to save money. M6 rod ends were double the cost. Had to go with 2 right hand rod ends because there wasn't enough room between them to go with a right/left hand turnbuckle style rod between them. These will need M5 fasteners. (I have many around) The spacer is so that I will be able to put the rod end on the inside of the shift arm, this will result in less shaft flex.

I'll post pictures when I get it all in. I know I saw someone around here do the same thing though.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Where did you order the joints from?

2 of Aluminum RH Female Heim Joint Rod Ends, 1/4 Inch
Sold by: Speedway Motors
I Bought a LH thread but due to the 2.8 " distance theres not enough length to make it a turn buckle (tie-rod) set up .. so i used 2 right hand hymes and you have to trim the threaded rod to +/- ,250 from bottoming in the hyme so theres still 75 per-cent still in the hyme . and you have to take one end off the adjust the length
heres what I did /
http://www.z125owners.com/forum/wha...saki-z125-today/13922-hyme-joint-shifter.html

but lets see what zaph comes up with ,my hymes were to long so i had to cut one down so its a little funky.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Has anyone had any issues with the bike not wanting to up shift occasionally?
Update :
For me doing the proper re-positioning of the shiftier for your foot and natural motion is the main thing . It keeps me from missing 3rd to 4th shifts so far.. you can re-clock it on the shift shaft splines but It can only become fine-tune adjustable with the hyme joints mod' with zaphs #4 above or a adjustable Rear-Set . And It also removes the flex in the #3 linkage Rod which isn't helping so therefore the #2 G-craft bracket could only help also .

So now Going thru Neutral seems to be the problem !!!

I'm missing a few up-shifts a day between 1st and 2nd now

I think its just being a little lazy it being the first up-shift after riding for a while

And I have noticed that trying to down-shift after coming to a stop it doesn't want to go into 1st sometimes while standing still . I need to roll the bike a little so the gears will line up per-say more than normal ....But, all my bikes have done that a little

So I've been making sure I'm down shifting into 1st "BEFORE" coming to a complete stop when coming down from 2nd .It seems to be working so far

This is just my bike & my .02 as always

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've definitely noticed shifting on the z125 isn't the best but I can live with it for the time being. I'm hoping a new lever setup will help out slightly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Driven rearsets provide hyme joints for the shifter and I'd bet that would improve shift feel a great deal. Gonna try that and see what happens.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Who is going to be the guy who puts together a kit? If you have to buy a couple pieces in bulk, it seems like the perfect opportunity for someone to do so.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Well I have a few handfuls of extra M6 fasteners here to do something, but I don't think there's enough interest to start putting kits together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts