Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there with a service manual know what the bolt torque specs are for the rear shock? I'm tired of waiting for My dealer to get a replacement in for my leaking one, so I'm going to go aftermarket and do the replacement myself. Just wondering what the spec torque is for the bolts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anybody out there with a service manual know what the bolt torque specs are for the rear shock? I'm tired of waiting for My dealer to get a replacement in for my leaking one, so I'm going to go aftermarket and do the replacement myself. Just wondering what the spec torque is for the bolts. Thanks in advance.
I ordered a service manual and it will be here Wednesday.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered a service manual and it will be here Wednesday.
Good to hear. Should be about the same time my rear Dampner gets here. If you could find out what the torque specs are for the bolts and post back here is greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have the book, but never checked

and just took off and put back on my shock the other day
I just do it very tight by hand

don't worry about torquing it just super tight and don't break the bolt off

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the book, but never checked

and just took off and put back on my shock the other day
I just do it very tight by hand

don't worry about torquing it just super tight and don't break the bolt off
Good point about torquing, I think most people here will have a good feel for what sort of pressure is enough, especially those that come from even a very slight mechanical background. From plastic to metal... you can feel when its enough.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think on bikes the only ones I torque are the main bolts that hold the engine together
internal bolts and the head bolts

all others by feel but I've been working on small bikes for a while now and really don't recall even breaking any bolts

the z runs very smoothly so I don't predict any bolts just vibrating out on there own
and every bolt so far I have taken off I do put a drop of blue loctite on them as a precaution
why I buy it in large bottles, I use that stuff a lot

now if your new to working on bikes, you can also cause harm with a torque wrench too if you don't know how to use them and there is a trick to using them
especially these very low torque bolts when you get into in lbs you should use a very small one with a short handle and 1/4 inch size

also using the correct size ratchet can prevent breaking off bolts as you don't have too much leverage

Usually I try to use 1/4 ratchet for 12mm and smaller bolts/nuts

and 3/8 ratchet for 13mm-17mm

and larger I use 1/2 inch ratchet mainly because after 17 my sockets are 1/2 inch size anyways and really on the z probably the axle nut is a 17 or 19
nothing larger I don't think

stay away from using 3/8 ratchet on the small sizes as you can over tighten much easier as you can't really get a feel using such a heavy wrench

and please if your new don't use impact guns, leave that tool for the professional
I've seen so many people just destroy nuts and threads on bikes with an impact gun
that really takes a skill on small bolts to use that tool

·
Registered
163 Posts
All he asked for was the torque spec for the rear shock bolts, which is 44 ft/lbs. I would recommend you always properly torque such important items, rather than relying on just "feel". I agree some Loctite on the threads is also a good idea since there is no other locking mechanism to prevent them from loosening besides the correct torque. Be safe.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All he asked for was the torque spec for the rear shock bolts, which is 44 ft/lbs. I would recommend you always properly torque such important items, rather than relying on just "feel". I agree some Loctite on the threads is also a good idea since there is no other locking mechanism to prevent them from loosening besides the correct torque. Be safe.
Thank you sir

·
Registered
18 Posts
My service manual came in so if anyone wants any info let me know and I will try and help out. Way too big to scan it all but could scan a page or two when needed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You wouldn't happen to have the torque spec for the front axle, or is it the same as the rears 47ft lbs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts