Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a rear cargo rack (that doesn't involve drilling) and so far everything I find is shipping directly from Japan. Anyone selling/fabricating any rear racks?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Good luck. I was in the same boat and nobody was making them. Ended up buying one from China... Does it's job hauling around Chipotle and beer, but I'm not super impressed with it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
In an ideal world my Z would have no passenger seat but instead a rack/bag/box that can quickly attach to said missing passenger seat. It baffles me that all the aftermarket seats I've found assume you want to retain the ability to ride 2-up on your minibike. Yes, there are people that do it, but they are the exception not the rule. Bonus points for also developing a sporty looking "cover" for when a rack/bag/box is not being used.

Maybe I'm the only one, maybe the rest of you ride around with your A$$ on the tail light. Just seems like a missed opportunity.

/rant

(Had some examples but I apparently suck at embedding images so use your imagination)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I do sit pretty far back with the Corbin saddle... Probably closer to the rear than the front of the seat. Bike is super roomy now and "the boys" aren't pressed against the tank all the time.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Did you bring your bars any further back to support that new seating position? My wife and I are both limited by our T-rex arms on the Z.

A decade of dirt riding has conditioned me so that I'm physically uncomfortable on a bike if I can't feel the tank on my upper thighs. That said my knees run out of space if I really hug the tank. You can still get plenty of grip with your knees sitting 6"-8" away from the back of the tank. Kinda makes me worry that the better half is learning bad ergonomics...

Dunno, I'm gonna have to feel the seat behind me next time I'm out on the Z. I'm pretty sure I'm still on the front half of the seat in "cruising" position and I generally scoot forwards if I find any squiggles in the road.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Corbin seat sits a bit lower than stock. I added 1" risers but then rolled the bars towards the back of the bike which has the effect of bringing them closer, I don't know how much maybe 1.5". I have a comfortable slight bend of the elbow and sit almost straight up, hunching forward a bit. I'm 5-9 155lbs I find this set up to be surprisingly comfortable for such a tiny bike. Got the idea to use the risers from another guy on here who has a Corbin he was spot on feels like a normal sized bike now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may end up fabricating something similar to yours. I've always been a bigger fan of ordering something someone else made (in case I want to complain about it, haha) but apparently the demand for rack systems isn't as big for this bike. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Kijima rack from Webike Japan installed on my own bike. You have to remove the tail cowl to use it.

On my wife's bike, I'm using this one from Zeed Parts (Thailand).
Kawasaki Z125 Pro Rear Carry Rack

It has been OK and the price is right. It bolts only through the fender holes on the underside.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have the Kijima rack from Webike Japan installed on my own bike. You have to remove the tail cowl to use it.

On my wife's bike, I'm using this one from Zeed Parts (Thailand).
Kawasaki Z125 Pro Rear Carry Rack

It has been OK and the price is right. It bolts only through the fender holes on the underside.

Which do you like better? The Kijima or the Zeed?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kijima vs Zeed, each has its pros and cons.

While I don't like that the tail cowl has to be removed on the Kijima, at the end of the day, being bolted from above and below give me more confidence with the Kijima rack for carrying heavy items.

Here are a few bullet points comparing each one:

Kijima (Webike Japan):
+ bolted onto the bike above and below the tail section
+ larger platform for more freedom to place a top case base plate
+ has those little mushroom pegs welded to the bottom, as extra bungee attachment points
- can make the seat hard to install and/or remove (push down hard to install, and also push down on it to relieve pressure on the latch when using the seat release, or you may bend the key!)

Zeed (Zeed Parts Thailand):
+ thick tubing for larger weld surface
+ does not affect the seat installation, no plastic to remove
+ also has mushroom pegs on underside for bungee attachment
+ nice price!
- only mounts to bottom, so make sure the bolts are torqued up tight! Will show a bit of flex with heavy loads.
- small platform combined with thick tubes limit the range of positions for installing a top case base plate

While I am fairly happy with both of them - if I had the money to start over, I would probably choose the Hurricane rack from Webike which looks much sturdier than either of these racks, but I cannot comment on that from personal experience.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Zeed (Zeed Parts Thailand):
- only mounts to bottom, so make sure the bolts are torqued up tight! Will show a bit of flex with heavy loads.

Do you think the flex is coming from the rack or the 4 point mount on the bike? If something were to snap, I prefer it be the rack and not the subframe on the bike...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Talked with Curtis Cages and they are going to fabricate a rack out the the same materials they make their 12 bars out of. I'll keep you guys posted. Hopefully we have a 'built in the USA' option that is sturdy enough to take whatever we can throw at it.

This is what we are going for. Obviously, my Photoshop skills are lacking, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
881 Posts
But with that tail rack piece you will only be able to make it to 11:55! How tragic! ;]

Kidding aside, that would look really sharp for you crazy stunter types.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts