Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I wrecked my Z125 and the rear brake light will not work. The turn signals work but not the rear brake light. I purchased a new one off Ebay (the cheaper $80 smoked one) thinking the OEM was broke but this one isn't working either. The turn signals work on the new brake light but again not when I use the back brake or front brake. I tried when the motorcycle running just to be sure everything was on. Will the rear brake light come on without starting the bike - just curious because I hate to keep starting it then shutting it off every time to troubleshoot. I checked fuses and all are good. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for your help and reading this.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd be inclined to say it was a switch issue, however, if both the front lever and rear pedal don't trigger the light, it's likely something else. Why don't you get a volt meter and test the wires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't own one but my buddy does so going to head over there in the next day or so. Thank you for responding and I am going to take your advice!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The other weird thing is the horn doesn't work. Is there another fuse location than what's under the seat? I read through owners manual and didn't see any other fuse locations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out that when I had the accident it grounded the license plate bulb down and the two wires for it were intermittently touching (depending on how I move the wires / bike) that I couldn't see due to being grounded down with the plastic. Once I noticed the plate light bulb was missing I started to pick the ground down plastic away and BAM seen the two wires touching causing a short.

Thanks to all that read / answered and anyone having issues after a wreck that impacts the back, loops the bike doing a wheelie, definitley check the license plate bulb and wires. Please note that this did not impact my turn signals which puzzled me probably due to inexperience with electrical components.

Thanks again all and CHEERS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turns out that when I had the accident it grounded the license plate bulb down and the two wires for it were intermittently touching (depending on how I move the wires / bike) that I couldn't see due to being grounded down with the plastic. Once I noticed the plate light bulb was missing I started to pick the ground down plastic away and BAM seen the two wires touching causing a short.

Thanks to all that read / answered and anyone having issues after a wreck that impacts the back, loops the bike doing a wheelie, definitley check the license plate bulb and wires. Please note that this did not impact my turn signals which puzzled me probably due to inexperience with electrical components.

Thanks again all and CHEERS!
Can you please give me more info about this? Maybe a pic of the wires that were touching you mentioned above? I'm very new to all the DIY stuff so if you (milletary) or any of you guys in this forum could help, I would really appreciate it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts