Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! New member and first time poster to this community, so please be gentle! :)

So we picked up a brand new Z125 for my lady who is about 5'4". Once she took it to the motorcycle safety course (MSC), we were kind of horrified to discover that it seems to be a bit too tall for her - she's not able to really spread her legs apart to clear the footpegs, so maneuvering the bike into position is really tough for her. She endured through the course and passed with flying colors, but by the end of her first day, her poor shins were bruised from the footpegs, and they stick out right where her legs go down the sides of the bike in a neutral seated position. We should have taken more time to make sure the bike fit her, but that moment has passed.

I've been doing some research and it sounds like these bikes can be lowered, but the one company (composimo?) that seems to sell a kit is all out of them, and it sounds like you may have to "stretch" the bike to even make that work.

I'm really just looking to see what our options are. We've considered shorter/blunter footpegs, but I think the original problem will still remain.

Do we have any real feasible, practical options? She loves the bike, but it doesn't seem to fit her well. Is there anything we can do to lower her seating position so that she's comfortable and not bashing her shins? We're both feeling really discouraged about the purchase. Again, we should have done our homework.

Thank you!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Don't be discouraged, the bike is awesome and ounce it's set up to her liking there will be tons of fun to be had.

Free stuff: the front forks can be slid up in the triple clamps a bit, and make sure the rear shock is on the softest setting so it sinks down. You can also get a lowering link for the rear. 4.5" might be too much and change the handling, but one of the 2" T-Rex models might be better. I'd recommend the later.

Then probably the best option is an aftermarket seat that lowers the seat height. You can buy a new lower seat or you can have the stock seat modified (shaved down and re-covered) by a local upholstery shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't thank you enough for your reply, you've given us some hope!

According to the user manual, I guess the bike is, by default, on shock position 2 (out of 4, with 4 being the stiffest), so I'll definitely look to get it set to a number 1.

The 4.5" link sounds great, though I hear it may require stretching?

the 2" T-rex solution sounds perfect, but it says that its only for Z125 models 2016-2018 - would it be compatible with a 2019 model? The one we got is the 2019 z125 pro.

Finally, can you point me in the direction of where to get one of these lowered seats?

Thank you again, your response has made us feel so much better!!!!! Much gratitude!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
The 4.5" link requires cutting of trim, not stretching. I would not recommend. It's too much and drastically changes the bike's handling, not to mention reduces cornering clearance. This part is popular with the "slammed and stretched" crowd who likes their vehicles and bikes long and low, but don't really care about functionality or handling. 2" will be more than enough. All Z125's are the same regardless of year.

In the front you can slide the forks up the triple clamps about .5 to .75" before the rubber cap hits the handle bars.

I haven't tried it myself, but this seat is about 1.5" lower and well reviewed on Amazon. There's one with red stitching too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are just amazing.

I'm gonna be buying that seat and the 2" drop kit tomorrow. I just can't possibly thank you enough. You've turned uncertainty and disappointment into joy. THANK YOU!!!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is the shortest bike I know of so with this communities help we hope she keeps riding it!

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum ;)
Would love to see a actual seat height measurement after the mods if you get a chance

And we all love PIC's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All right, update.

I ordered the seat (with red stitching!) from Amazon. I'll take measurements and provide an update on the measurements when we get it installed.

I also ordered the T-Rex 2" drop kit. Hopefully it comes with some instructions. I have tools and feel confident in my ability to get it installed.

I'll have to look up how to adjust the rear suspension so that I can set it to the "1" position....is it a fairly simple affair? Anyone know if it requires special tools? I'll do some research.

Another thing I'd like to explore - installing some footpegs that are perhaps a bit shorter than the stock ones, and preferably more rounded on the ends so that they're less "stabby." Any recommendations for these?

Thanks again to everyone! I'm just tickled to be a part of the z125 community! You have all been just wonderful!

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
I think hes wanting Shorter as in less length, not as in lower ones ? [so that they're less "stabby."]

Zaph has posted the best option for lower ones.

And MNNTHBX has these that look a little shorter in length, but might just be because there bigger round. and 3 forward tilt settings to suit rider’s preference. Can Call them if you need actual length measurements .

·
Registered
222 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts