Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a long time Grom follower and I had one back in 2014 when the hype was insane. I ended up selling it after a year of riding it and here I am now 4 years later, ready to purchase my next 125cc bike just to commute for work.

Its been a long time coming and I know many years have passed so the aftermarket availability for the z125 has become as easily accessible as the Grom. Is this actually the case? I don't "plan" on doing too much to the bike, but everyone knows how that goes... Any major Pros/cons that you guys might be able to share would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you've made the switch from a grom to a z125.

Also, I am worried about theft, do most of you guys just get full coverage and not care if the bike gets stolen since insurance will replace the bike?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey Mike, welcome!

Aftermarket for the Z is plenty healthy, but not Grom sized. I don't think you will have any issues finding what you need to empty your wallet and turn the bike into whatever you want at this point.

I would have a hard time running full coverage on a minibike, but I also live somewhere with winter so I don't get a full riding season out of my insurance as it is. I think you would be better served making the bike a harder target or adding an anti-theft system. Tough question, thieves are the worst.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the quick response!

I live out in California so our winters are not really winters.

Question about reliability. I know HONDA's reliability is unquestioned. I want this bike to last me years on end, I plan to keep it for as long as I can.

Never ridden/owned a Kawasaki so just curious on its reliability compared to Honda if you have any input there that would be great.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Other than needing to tighten and loc-tite the motor mounts, I haven't heard of many real issues with the bike. Check/change the oil often and you will be fine.

Unlike Ando, I have full coverage on my mini bike. I think it was an extra $15 for the year for full coverage... But I'm more worried about idiots stopping for geese on the side of the road mid corner than I am about theft.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Remember, Comprehensive covers theft. You could just get that and skip collision and save a lot of money. Collision is where all your insurance dollars go, and body panels are cheap on this thing if you drop it.

Aside from being down about .4 hp, the Z is a vastly better bike with better OEM suspension and better lean angle. But it feels faster because it's got a top end that doesn't taper off like the Grom.

·
Registered
895 Posts
RE: Reliability

Kawi puts a cheap, non-oring chain on these bikes that tends to bug people that don't like doing minor maintenance. It'll stretch a ton during break-in and then be totally fine.

Really the only complaints I've heard are from one guy that takes it on road-trips.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im 230lb and have never bottomed the suspension. I have never ridden a Grom but have read the forks bottom easily. Pricing is also better. Paid $2700 for a new 2018 in March of 2019. See if you can find a leftover.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There was a thread about proper insurance coverage a while back. It was mentioned about having a gps tracker located on the bike in a hidden location. The thought was the cost of the tracker would be less than yearly insurance premiums. It never got expanded on though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The thought was the cost of the tracker would be less than yearly insurance premiums. It never got expanded on though.

I think the monthly cost of a GPS tracker is going to be ~$5-$10 a month on top of the initial cost of the GPS tracker. If the thief yanks the dongle out of the bike, you are SOL anyways. There isn't much to a mini bike. It's going to be tough to hide. Plus, it needs to be low enough current draw so you battery isn't dead in a couple hours.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put comprehensive on the bike so that its covered if it gets stolen. Bare minimum liability and comp is all I will put on this bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought mine to commute. No mods beyond a tail tidy. Otherwise have left well enough alone (expert factory build and engineering) thereby causing no problems. Result: 4800 trouble free miles over two full riding seasons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put comprehensive on the bike so that its covered if it gets stolen. Bare minimum liability and comp is all I will put on this bike.
Awesome thanks for the tip

I just got quoted for $185/year with comprehensive and minimal liability.

Liability alone was $75/year but I guess the $100 will be peace of mind if my bike ever get stolen.

On anohter note:

Any lightweight gloves that work with phones that you guys would recommend?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Awesome thanks for the tip

I just got quoted for $185/year with comprehensive and minimal liability.

Liability alone was $75/year but I guess the $100 will be peace of mind if my bike ever get stolen.

On anohter note:

Any lightweight gloves that work with phones that you guys would recommend?
Your best off with full cover as it’s pretty easy to pull up in a van and chuck it in the back.
My z has full cover $250au a year my guzzi 750 is $5 more than the z and my gsxs1000 is $15 more
More than the z a year.
The little z should be a lot cheaper but at my age full cover on most bikes is cheap. The other thing I think is if
You Crashed into a Ferrari or something I know it’s not going to make much damage on the car but a scratch
On a car like that would probably cost $16000:surprise: .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your best off with full cover as it’s pretty easy to pull up in a van and chuck it in the back.
My z has full cover $250au a year my guzzi 750 is $5 more than the z and my gsxs1000 is $15 more
More than the z a year.
The little z should be a lot cheaper but at my age full cover on most bikes is cheap. The other thing I think is if
You Crashed into a Ferrari or something I know it’s not going to make much damage on the car but a scratch
On a car like that would probably cost $16000:surprise: .
None of your examples prove why you should have full coverage. Full coverage is a waste on a bike this cheap unless you're planning on setting it on fire or you're a klutz and drop it frequently. Comprehensive is all you need to be covered in the case of a theft. Simply having full coverage will also not help you in the event of crashing into a Ferrari other than covering the bike if the accident was your fault or a vehicle hit you and then ran.

·
Registered
141 Posts
None of your examples prove why you should have full coverage. Full coverage is a waste on a bike this cheap unless you're planning on setting it on fire or you're a klutz and drop it frequently. Comprehensive is all you need to be covered in the case of a theft. Simply having full coverage will also not help you in the event of crashing into a Ferrari other than covering the bike if the accident was your fault or a vehicle hit you and then ran.
Mate in Australia full cover is comprehensive insurance so I don’t know what the deal is in USA.
I’ve been riding on the street for 47 years and I’ve seen a lot and trust me when
I say get full cover.
A mate hit a car without insurance total loss of his vehicle and $14000 damage to 2 cars.
Yes cost to insure a mini bike is dumb but you just never know what can happen out there
and you might not ever have a crash but your only going to know that if you can
see the future.
It’s like saying don’t insurance your house or car or boat or anything just for the sake of penny pinching.
Also comprehensive in Australia covers your vehicle and the other vehicle in a accident.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mate in Australia full cover is comprehensive insurance so I don’t know what the deal is in USA.
I’ve been riding on the street for 47 years and I’ve seen a lot and trust me when
I say get full cover.
A mate hit a car without insurance total loss of his vehicle and $14000 damage to 2 cars.
Yes cost to insure a mini bike is dumb but you just never know what can happen out there
and you might not ever have a crash but your only going to know that if you can
see the future.
It’s like saying don’t insurance your house or car or boat or anything just for the sake of penny pinching.
Also comprehensive in Australia covers your vehicle and the other vehicle in a accident.
He doesn't live in australia though, he lives in california. Also no, it's nothing like not insuring your house unless you live in a 10'x10' shed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is there some confusion about insurance terminology in this thread?

In the US,
Liability - covers other people's costs when you crash into them
Comprehensive - covers theft, natural disasters, fire, anything that happens when you aren't on it.
Collision - covers damage you your bike in the event of a crash.
Full Coverage - means you are paying for all of that above.

In the US, comprehensive ≠ full coverage.

In the US, every portion of insurance has a cost associated with it. Collision is generally the highest portion. It's also not recommend on this bike (unless you are intent on making insurance companies rich) because this bike is so cheap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm assuming there was just a misunderstanding due to different countries of residence but yes Zaph basically spelled it out. You have to have liability to be able to make the bike road legal and I would suggest to anyone to also put comprehensive on the bike to cover yourself in the event that someone steals your bike. I would only add collision if you're brand new to riding and might drop the bike, your a klutz and might drop the bike, you're a terrible rider and you might cause damage with your bike, or you plan on committing some type of insurance fraud with the bike for some type of payday. If none of that applies to you then dont waste your money on collision, or do, idc, it's your money. If it helps you sleep better at night then by all means, put all the coverage with the lowest deductibles and the highest limits on your policy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts