Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so who is running race fuel at the track? What octane are you running? Has anyone run Boostane to make higher octane pump gas?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just started using Torco in my KAYO, seems to be working in the little bit of testing I did. I was using 105 unleaded race fuel before this. Torco Accelerator - It's not just an octane booster

That said, unless you put in a high compression piston or changed the ignition advance, you shouldn't need more than 91 octane.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have plans to run a high compression piston and I am playing with the timing on my z right now through my power commander. Just making sure I definitely have 93 by filling my truck first and then cans to remove that variable in my tuning. I have an auto tune and it seems my fuel map is on spot. I just want to see what I can get out of it with tuning.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The guys at Torco told me the highest you can really get is 105 with their product. So you go 5 gallons of 91 no ethanol and a can of torco, about 1/3 the price of 5 gallons of race fuel, and the Torco can be shipped to your house without crazy hazmat fees.

Must use a steel gas can for storage, or black plastic fuel cell. I suggest a 1 gallon Eagle can, and mix it at the track.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You guys need to not waste your time with high octane gas in low compression engines.

The best race fuel in a Z125 if you are after power is VP fuels MR12. It's 87 octane but it will get you more power than anything else because it is oxygenated. Note: need to run a PCV tuner because ignition needs to be seriously advanced with this stuff. Bazzaz can't do that. Also note: MR12 is $150 for a 5 gallon can. :D But at least you get great mileage on a Z125. Imagine burning a whole can of that stuff in a day at the track on a middleweight.

But seriously, low to moderate compression engines, MR12 is horsepower in a can. It was legal in CCS racing, and with just exhaust and a tuner it was the cheapest way to get a 15-18% HP increase.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The guys at Torco told me the highest you can really get is 105 with their product. So you go 5 gallons of 91 no ethanol and a can of torco, about 1/3 the price of 5 gallons of race fuel, and the Torco can be shipped to your house without crazy hazmat fees.

Must use a steel gas can for storage, or black plastic fuel cell. I suggest a 1 gallon Eagle can, and mix it at the track.
I used to run MR12 in my yz450 supermoto. It would power up the front wheel in 4th gear. Power was amazing but the price is high too. Be sure to flush it out of your fuel system when done. It can be hard on things if you leave it in all the time.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yeah, when I was done with the MR12 in my race ninja 300, I would drain it out and put pump gas back in and run it a bit. It eats your fuel system. I had a dual map switch and would practice on pump gas and race on MR12.

Most people are going to see how much MR12 costs and go back to worthless high octane stuff. In addition to being expensive it's got a 3 month lifespan.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The burn from real race fuel is always going to be better, this makes more power. But at the cost and in my case availability, the Torco looks like it is going to work. My KAYO is 13:1 piston and head spaced to where I'm pretty sure nothing will contact. Any of these additives that really work are based on MMT which is apparently very photosensitive. Also very hazardous to fish if it gets in the water before the sunlight renders it safe. Reports are that in as little as 2 minutes the sun has converted it back to safer compounds. If it wouldn't take up an entire day to go and fetch 5 gallons of fuel, I'd probably stick with race gas in the KAYO. However my Z125 is running is stock class which requires pump fuel so I'm going to base everything off of 91 no ethanol and mix up a gallon at a time for the KAYO. Both are 125cc so even the more powerful KAYO is still going to run pretty much all day on 1 gallon, and if I bring the can of additive and the 91 in another can, I can mix at the track. I think it was around 6 ounces of Torco to 1 gallon of gas to make 105 unleaded. It's 32 ounces additive to 5 gallons of 91. You can start with 93 or 94 and get (I think) 10 gallons of 105 per $20 bottle of additive, but then you are dealing with the alcohol.

For what it costs, I thought I should try it and see if it will solve my fuel supply problem, if not then I'll have to go back to budgeting a day to go and get $80 per 5 gallon fuel cans. If Sunoco had better distribution, I'd probably run their high octane unleaded, but no one anywhere near me carries the unleaded stuff. I can get leaded everywhere, just don't want to run it because it will damage the $100 wideband sensor I use to tune my carb.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, when I was done with the MR12 in my race ninja 300, I would drain it out and put pump gas back in and run it a bit. It eats your fuel system. I had a dual map switch and would practice on pump gas and race on MR12.

Most people are going to see how much MR12 costs and go back to worthless high octane stuff. In addition to being expensive it's got a 3 month lifespan.
Yep. Mr12 is like liquid gold for small engine power too. I will get a gallon to play with one day. I picked up a bottle of the Torco additive at my tuners recommendation to use in my Zuma 125 scooter. It has a high compression 192cc motor in it and he says a few an ounces per tank is beneficial for my set up. I had some 110 sitting around that I used for my KX65 supermoto so I dumped it in and will see how it likes some increased octane. I mixed it in with 93 so it should be around 100 or so now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts