·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks Kaw'ee this is very helpful for those trying to spec new bars!

I would like to add the OEM sweep to this thread as I think that's the final missing piece of information in upgrading.

Just last week I realized that the bar on my bike is rotated back about 10° compared to my wife's Z. Makes a huge difference to my surprise.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I had ATV-MIDs on my last Z. I liked them. Going back and forth between them and stock (wrecked Z vs new bone stock Z), ATV-MIDs were a smidge lower and had a little less sweep to them. Felt much more hooligan and sporty especially since they were rotated forward a smidge. I would like to sit on a set of Pro Taper KLX bars since that is was most people recommend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found Area 22 fat bars with adapters, bar end mirrors, adjustable levers, looks pretty good, have a good feel

·
Registered
881 Posts
In the process of switching bars. Picked up the ProTaper SE KLX110 bend.

Essentially the same height as stock but much less sweep so my elbows aren't collapsed into my ribs while riding. They are also significantly wider... like wider than the bars on my old man bike including bar ends. 0.o Not sure how much I'm going to trim them down yet, if at all. As crakerjac mentioned the super wide stance feels delightfully hooligan and it's not like filtering is legal here anyhow.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Good point!

+5cm just from the bar before adding sliders may very well be the difference between replacing three sliders or two fairings. Though I suspect you would still hit the rear one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the protaper seven eights bar for my Z and they look awesome. A more aggressive stance and much better for me. I would highly recommend them. Ive gone down once and the bike hits the rear sets (non-folding ones) and the bars which these didnt get damaged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In the process of switching bars. Picked up the ProTaper SE KLX110 bend.

Essentially the same height as stock but much less sweep so my elbows aren't collapsed into my ribs while riding. They are also significantly wider... like wider than the bars on my old man bike including bar ends. 0.o Not sure how much I'm going to trim them down yet, if at all. As crakerjac mentioned the super wide stance feels delightfully hooligan and it's not like filtering is legal here anyhow.
I left mine at full length and really like them. Less sweep tend to put more weight on the front wheel which seems to have a positive effect on handling. This is overall a great mod for this bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, can you recommend (from your actual use) which is the higher handlebar? I stand 6 ft tall and the stock is too low for me; back problems. Liked the KSR’s seating position better but no ABS and fuel gauge. Better engine and panel gauge on the Z. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
handlebars

has anyone used some of those handle bars from amazon? I tried to post a link , but it would not let me

·
Registered
164 Posts
Reviving this. Trying to upgrade my handlebars and thinking of doing the Protaper Contour fatbars Mini Low with the Protaper bar adapter. I want something lower and this seems to fit the bill and the adapter will raise it a bit anyways.

Pros: Lower than OEM as I am racing the bike.
Cons: Lock up my knees since its lower. slightly wider bars.

I would love to hear your guys thoughts.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I would love to hear your guys thoughts.
Compared to the KLX110 SE bar on my bike that's going to be a touch less width and a tiny bit more sweep (and obviously significantly less rise). Sounds like a winner to me.

Sure, they might hit the tank before hitting the stops, or your knees. As a racer I'm sure you can get your knee out away from the tank to get that extra bit of turning radius.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Compared to the KLX110 SE bar on my bike that's going to be a touch less width and a tiny bit more sweep (and obviously significantly less rise). Sounds like a winner to me.

Sure, they might hit the tank before hitting the stops, or your knees. As a racer I'm sure you can get your knee out away from the tank to get that extra bit of turning radius.
Thank you for the response, yeah I thought the chance to have to actually turn with the handlebars likely won't happen unless im farting around the neighborhood or the pits. In that case I just have to remember to get my knee out of the way.. Also it won't be that much lower considering the adapter so I think this should be fine. I will order them tomorrow unless someone jumps in with negative thoughts on this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts