Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie to the small bike world, I’m curious why everyone puts protaper bars on their bike. Are they raising or lowering? What’s the improvement people are looking for?

·
Registered
320 Posts
depends on the bar and also for some strength.

The stock bar location can be short for some or if your racing you might want to be a bit more aggressive. IF you drop the bike the stock bars bend so easily...

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you feel the stock bars are providing you with the riding feel and style you want then perfect, you won’t need pro tapers. I wanted a sportier feel. Not only did I think the stock bars looked goofy and out of place, I felt goofy and out of place. I ride my Z through a lot of country type back roads and never felt like the stock bars gave me the sportiness I was looking for. I got a set of pro tapers school boy bars and instantly felt that I was in the position I was looking for with styling that I liked. My mind and body felt good with the change and I enjoy the bike that much more.... $70 well spent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a set of pro tapers school boy bars and instantly felt that I was in the position I was looking for with styling that I liked. My mind and body felt good with the change and I enjoy the bike that much more.... $70 well spent.
I just went for my first ride with full leather track suit on as I was planning to run the bike through its paces in a parking lot and nearly killed myself right out of my driveway because when I went to shift into second gear my knee puck wedged under the left bar and sent me careening to the left and across oncoming traffic....not fun. For the rest of the ride I was able to compensate but it felt like the pegs were too far forward and the bars too far back. It’s a small bike, so some of that is to be expected, but I’m wondering if your protaper bars are set further forward?

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
Check this link for higher bars or look into Risers

Reactions: Gravisman

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do have my bars pushed forward but sounds like maybe you have tall legs if your knees are that close to the bars. You may need higher bars. I’m like 5’9/10 so I’m not overly cramped on the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a newbie to the small bike world, I’m curious why everyone puts protaper bars on their bike. Are they raising or lowering? What’s the improvement people are looking for?
ProTaper and others are alright and all...but I have Driven Racing 'Meteor' bars on my 2 wheeler with 'high' risers (it was a kit)...I'm 6'2" and ride it like I stole it!

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts