Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the bike in, they’re telling me there’s an electrical problem causing the CEL light to not be able to reset, and the tail light/horn not working. The “fix” suggested is new wire harness, which I was told is 790$!!!!! Is that accurate? I’m about 10,000$ into the bike at this point, and haven’t gotten to put 200 miles on it! I’m so far past frustrated at this point.

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
Get a second opinion from another source and don't mention what the first place told you to them.
The CEL is only for the DFI systems only.
Are there any engine codes for the CEL or no codes come up and the light is still on.

The tail/horn is a different system issue so saying its a complete harness issue is iffy
Does the brake light work (same fuse)
Did you install any LED lights or relays on the bike.
Recheck all connections and for proper wiring, and if all looks good only way to rule out is to replace all original lights, if all good then replace LEDs one at a time while checking
I'd be guessing a bad connector or ground somewhere
Re check all harness connectors and battery connections and frame and engine grounds
Doesn't sound like a meter power of ground issue if other lights are all working

Does the bike run fine, its just that the CEL is on and the tail/horn dont work.

CEL SELF DIAG'.JPG FUSES.JPG Fuse Block Testing - Copy.JPG FRAME GROUNDS.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I took the bike in, they’re telling me there’s an electrical problem causing the CEL light to not be able to reset, and the tail light/horn not working. The “fix” suggested is new wire harness, which I was told is 790$!!!!! Is that accurate? I’m about 10,000$ into the bike at this point, and haven’t gotten to put 200 miles on it! I’m so far past frustrated at this point.
Unfortunately yes, that price is fairly accurate. Check prices for OEM Kawie at cheap cycle parts. Seems ridiculous to me also.

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
Sorry I'm out, saw you have a fuel controller so normal service manual troubleshooting does not always apply
but with all the random codes I'm kind of thinking ECU ???

Theres 3 main harness on ebay for $100.00 -$200.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts